Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

minnow traps

Old 03-04-2002, 10:27 PM
Spike

Default minnow traps

have any of you made your own minnow traps, i know they are pretty cheap to buy but i kind of want to make my own. Just curious as to see what ideas you guys have come up with or can come up with. thanks
Old 03-04-2002, 10:33 PM

Default RE: minnow traps

I made about a dozen of my own once. I took a two liter pop bottle, cut the top off. I then put the nozzle part inside the bottle, wrapped the entire thing in duct tape, then drilled little holes everywhere on the bottle. I put some bread balls in them. I set them out, along with my two store bought minnow traps. I came back the next day, my two store bought traps were FULL of creekchubs, the pop bottles had nothing in them at all. I tried them a couple times after that but never had any luck.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
"Hunting is not a sport, it is a passion, it is a WAY OF LIFE"
Old 03-05-2002, 05:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Buck Magnet that was pretty inventive.

The Tazman
Old 03-05-2002, 02:24 PM

Usually if you leave minnow traps alone very long they seem to vanish..
Old 03-05-2002, 03:49 PM

Thanks Taz

I have been thinking of ways to make some more minnow traps. We have a bunch of old fence here, the holes in it are about the size of the holes in my minnow trap, I am thinking of a way to make a really good minnow trap. I want something huge so I can catch alot of creek chubs, but the Super Magnum Minnow Traps in Cabelas are too expensive. I think that they are like 80 bucks. Where I fish, you need as many creek chubs as you can possible have. The lake is FULL of huge bass and they inhale creek chubs. Last year, my best friend and I went through probablly 5 DOZEN creek chubs in 45 minutes. I think that when we were out of creek chubs, I had landed something like 28 bass of 16 inches, the biggest being probablly 20 inches, and he landed something like 23 bass over 16 inches, and his biggest was probablly 21 inches. We had nightcrawlers that day too, so we used them. We probablly caught a good 60 bass over 15 inches. The lake is a recreational lake, it is mostly used for water skiers/jet skiers. The lake is stocked every year with Florida Largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, striped bass (which is FUN to catch), and it is stocked with 5 pound brown trout. There is a bass tournament there every thursday in the summer, but the entire lake is catch and release. The biggest stripper I caught out of there was 23 inches, the biggest catfish was about 20 inches, the biggest largemouth was about 21 inches, the biggest small mouth was about 22 inches, the biggest pike was about 38 inches, the biggest trout was about 20 inches, the biggest bluegill was about 11 inches, the biggest crappie was about 12 inches, and the biggest rock bass was 14 inches. This lake is FULL of HUGE fish. The lake is called Two Lick Resiviour.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
"Hunting is not a sport, it is a passion, it is a WAY OF LIFE"
Old 03-05-2002, 04:05 PM

i have a old glass orivs minnow trap that i probably shouldnt use but catcehs tons of chubs and shiners the wire traps are ok and we made a trap from one of them real big pickle jars one time
Old 03-08-2002, 03:01 PM
Spike

I will have to try acouple of possible designs and let you guys know how they turn out.
Old 03-09-2002, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

you can get minnow traps for like 9 bucks...... I put mine in the creek and caught a few but then somone stole it. I think i know who it is but i can't prove it.

"Trophies are not measured in Inches!"