Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Setting Bush Lines for Catfish/turtles????????

Old 07-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Setting Bush Lines for Catfish/turtles????????

Is live/dead bluegill better. How should I cut the bait for it? Is 20 # test mono big enough cuz that is the biggest that I have. THanks

Trapper_Hunter
Old 07-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Setting Bush Lines for Catfish/turtles????????

if thats all you can get then 20lb will do but i personally like to use surveyors string its maby 1/8" string and it holds up really well and its cheap and when i do it i just cut small bluegill in 1/2 and larger ones ill cut till there right which is uaully about a 1.5"x1.5" square and you might try useing trebble hooks i tend to catch more on them then i do a standard hook ive never tried live bait on a bush hook and i dont think it would stay alive very long but cut bait does very well good luck,sean
Old 07-07-2004, 08:09 PM

i personally use 50 pound test mono with a live bluegill. I put an egg sinker about two feet from the bluegill. I also us a 4/0 hook and hook it through the back of the tail. Put it out before it gets dark, then check it in the morning. Usually the swallow it so they dont get off. The biggest that i have cought was a 50 pound flathead..i have cought numerous 20 and 10 pounders too.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

The biggest that i have cought was a 50 pound flathead..i
Wow! That a bigin. I was catching quit a few turtles without trying recently down south-& they seemed to like the chicken livers& also hearts& gizzards that seem to stay on a bit better then just the liver- over the cut fish i was also using to catch cats on.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use 50# line and chicken liver wrapped in old pantyhose so it will stay on the hook. I use a treble hook as well.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:26 AM

What kind and how big of cats are you shooting for. I set bush lines and most of my cats are channels and spotted lake cats anywhere from 3 too
6 pounds. I use braided nylon line and a small weight with a #4 circle hook. I also use yo yo reels which work fantastic for fish under 10 lbs.
Bass Pro sells these automatic reels for around $22 dozen. Hang them like you would a bush hook except you dont need a flexible limb to hang them on.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used the 20 pound but something keep getting the bluegill off. My papa set one out with braided nylon string. He put one of my offset worm hooks and another long shank hook on a dead bluegill. about 5 inched(the bluegill was) The next morning I checked it and there wasn't nothing on it. Well l8er about 3:00 we was getting ready to leave. My papa went over to pull it up and when he pulled it out the offset worm hook was straightened and it looked like a regular hook![:-] I told my papa that I checked it that morning and it mustof got on during the day. STupid me for not checking it again! Forgot all about it. DANGIT DANGIT LOL

Trapper_Hunter
Old 07-17-2004, 03:27 PM

I used the same setup as Farmcntry when I lived in an area with catfish, the only thing I did differrent was I used trotline twine.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Or float jugs out there with treble hooks for cats and turtles.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:50 PM

Juggin is a nice way to realax & have a few beers......in fact every type of catfishin I know of is!

Quick Reply: Setting Bush Lines for Catfish/turtles????????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.