Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Bass Equipment

Old 06-21-2004, 08:49 AM

Default Bass Equipment

My brother really loves catching bass but doesn't have his own equipment and is going to buy some this week and wanted me to get your opions on what kind of rod and reel to get and how heavy duty tthey should be? What lb. test is appropriate for catching a big bass, he likes all knds and wants to be able to use it for all bass and maybe a catfish, if he can't hes going to get a seperate cat rod.
Thanks for the help
Old 06-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bass Equipment

i have always used my shimano spincast with 12 pound test.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use an ambass 3600SE reel and Shimano 7' med action rod.

Test line depends on the bait I throw. Carolina rig = 6 -8 # line. Jerk bait shallow action = 4#, deep action = 10# line, etc.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmmmm..........bass equipment........

My bass tackle consists of :
7' MH cabelas fisheagleII with pfleuger trion baitcaster reel and 50 lb power pro
7' MH bass proshops bionic blade with pfleuger trion machined baitcast reel and 30# fireline

6' bass proshops crankin stik with cabelas black label 2 20# fireline
6'6" team diawa graphite rod with shimano sedona 1000 6# stren or shimano sedona 2000 8 lb trilene vanish
Old 06-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use an ambass 3600SE reel and Shimano 7' med action rod.

Test line depends on the bait I throw. Carolina rig = 6 -8 # line. Jerk bait shallow action = 4#, deep action = 10# line, etc.
wimp.... I thought the way you wear out the bass down there you'd be getting bored and looking for a challenge.[:-] Try and ultra light rod with 4 pound test and try to land a 5 pound smally from the weedbeds. You need to come north to see how it's done.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do have a shimano ultra light rod and use 4 # test mono line on it for excitment. But if I need to show off...
Old 06-22-2004, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

planted 5 weeks ago, almost ready to mow
After your first mow, you will see an improvement. Don't take more than a third of the blade off the plant though. If it's too tall for that now, raise your height of cut and take it down slow always not taking more than 1/3 off until you get it at your desired height. After mowing it, you'll be doing 2 things. First you'll be clipping off the dead stressed leaf and cleaning up the yellowish brown leaf that you are seeing. Second, you will be improving the root structure. Now the small new root isn't supporting such a big plant and it's not expending all it's energy in top growth which will drive itself deeper into the ground because of that. Root depth as well as mass is the key.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

After your first mow, you will see an improvement. Don't take more than a third of the blade off the plant though. If it's too tall for that now, raise your height of cut and take it down slow always not taking more than 1/3 off until you get it at your desired height. After mowing it, you'll be doing 2 things. First you'll be clipping off the dead stressed leaf and cleaning up the yellowish brown leaf that you are seeing. Second, you will be improving the root structure. Now the small new root isn't supporting such a big plant and it's not expending all it's energy in top growth which will drive itself deeper into the ground because of that. Root depth as well as mass is the key.
What the heck are you talking about??? That injury must have effected your 'head.'
Old 06-22-2004, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I dont understand either!!!! Very interesting post!!!!
Old 06-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

ROTFLMAO!!

uhhhh oops maybe wrong forum.

oh man I need a vacation. Ohio here I come. LOL.

Quick Reply: Bass Equipment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.