Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

fishing line for musky setup

Old 06-10-2004, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default fishing line for musky setup

Would like to hear some opinions on fishing line for a musky rod/reel setup.. I am an avid Bass, walleye etc.. kind of fisherman but i just built a place on a class A musky lake so i figured i would give it a try. For my spinning rods i usually use Stren or Spiderwire (6lb or 4lb test)

I just bought some spiderwire 24lb test for my musky setup. I will trash it if it sucks but i haven't used it yet. Anyone have any other good recommendations?

my set up is a Shimano Axiom reel with a 6'6" Ugly stick built for med/heavy action.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: fishing line for musky setup

I have family and buddies who are avidly into muskies and they say the powerpro from 50 -100 lb test works awesome, the best they have ever seen. I have used the 20 and 50 and like it alot
Old 06-10-2004, 07:21 PM

Yep, Powerpro is good stuff.... Don't let the # test scare you, as the 65# and 100# is all I use and it is very thin diameter for it's pound test. Use it on a baitcaster. If you are just getting into it, the good old Abu Garcia 6500 series is a good reliable, inexpensive reel. Get a nice medium/heavy action rod in about a 6.5 foot - 7 foot length and have at it! Make sure you use a good high quality wire leader. Single strand for heavy jerk baits, etc. and 7 strand for crank baits and bucktails. Watch out though, you just might get addicted to this sport once you get your hooks into a boatside strike...or better yet, boatside"topwater" hit!!

PS- Don't go too thin on this line, because if you get a backlash during a cast, the line can snap in a heartbeat.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:21 AM
Fork Horn

whitetails aid it all there I will add that spiderwire stealth is also a great line for muskie setups. The only thing is with that you have to a a lower geared reel because of the teflon coating makes the line a bit sticky and harder to pull big bucks, and cranks through the water. Good luck and if you get addicted beware the pocket book gnomes they can come around and run you dry with a vast selection of lures and other goodies.