Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

vanish..

Old 05-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default vanish..

anyone use berkely vanish?? i bought a filler spool for my trout reel.....4lb test......i was wondering if its a good flourocarbon.....it looks and feels decint....and held up to me tugging on it......anything i need to do diffrent with it then a mono??? never fished it before.....but i want to start getting after natives and wilds and htey are smarter then most stockers....so i want to minimize the ways they can bust me....any words on vanish?? anything i need to do with the floro? i never fished it........thanx alot.......does it seem to last longer then the regular monos or less or same or what also....im thinking superline is next.......i heard it lasts for seasons and doesnt rot or decay or anything.....any truth to that for my next purchase if vanish dont work out.....thanx alot
Old 05-28-2004, 07:47 AM

Default RE: vanish..

my friend uses vanish on one of his spinning reels for finesse bass fishing, and he's never had problems with it. it's strong, and it doesnt absorb water like monofilament. i think superlines have their place in certain situations, as does any line. i would stick with the vanish, should work great.

slayer
Old 05-28-2004, 08:52 AM

I have used Vanish in many situations and it holds up well. The only problem I have had with it is using a full spool it tends to twist up often so you can end up with a rats nest. I still use it but only as a leader, generally I spool up with fireline then attach about 6' of vanish at the end with a barrel swivel.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys.....tomarow if the weather is nice i plan to put it to the test.....use it and abuse it.....see how it performs.....i think for little trout it will be perfect....im not catching anything over a pound or 2......a big one will be 14-16 inches tops.....only caught a few like that this year......they been stocking ones that are barely legal.....8-10 inchers....nice pretty fish but not too big.....i want a 20+ incher for the wall......next year i plan to hunt big ones.......they dont seem to stock big ones around here......i was actually going to go down to 2lb test......but its only .02inches smaller then 4.....so i went with my normal 4......next year i plan on a whole new setup......so ill see......thanx alot guys.......ill post after i fish it and let you guys know what i think of it......
Old 05-30-2004, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use it for filler and for leader, and never have problems with it other than standard issues you find with mono. I really like it. Good luck.