Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Spooled again>HELP!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2004, 07:13 PM

Default Spooled again>HELP!!!!!!

OK so theres huge pike, giant brown trout, lake trout, large and small mouth bass(also bigguns), and large walleye in the local waters I fish. One particular secret spot of mine holds I'm guessin one big mean brown trout. I've cast to him by sight once and hooked him, choked and tightened my drag, breaking my knot. On three other occasions now, I've had a BIG fish either spool me or break my line. Heres the thing though, I've just swithched to one of those superbraids on account of getting into so many big fish and losing them. I thought that a twenty pound test in a 6 lb line size would be sweet but my line continues to break. I've used spider wire in the past and was totally amazed by it's strength, but someone told me that it was goin to wear out the guides on my pole(I loved that pole) so I stopped using it. So without writing a book, I'm asking for any advice from everyone here about a tough set up > and oh> I'm afraid that I forgot to mention that I really prefer a mediun/light rig. Rod and reel are not really the problem, I really need line recommendations. Thanks Chris
Old 05-18-2004, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Spooled again>HELP!!!!!!

go back to spider wire i have had it in the same rod for a bout 6 years
Old 05-18-2004, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

You really shouldn't have an issue with spiderwire, but i guess it's possible. I'm going to make a recommendation based on no knowledge of how your fishing. Throwing lures, rod/reel, etc.

So here's what I would use:

Baitcaster on a Medium action rod about 7ft. Runnin about 20lb+ spiderwire or fireline. The longer pole you have the more you can let the rod play the fish and take the heat off of the line and the drag. It may take you longer to land one of those big guy's but I assure you should be able to handle it. If that doesn't work, beef up the rod, reel and line. You may want to consider buying what I call a "Monster pole" which is basically one of those big thick broom handle looking poles used for ocean fishing spooled with 50+lb test. Many people use those around here when they are catfishing the Ohio River. Just an idea.

Never try to force the fish. If he's going to spool you, try moving the boat toward him, rather than tightening the drag and trying to stop him. (much easier said than done, but with the right boat-mate you guys should be able to do it.)
Old 05-19-2004, 03:52 PM

Thanks men>NOW back to the front!!!!