Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

I Need Advice

Old 04-05-2004, 03:29 PM

Default I Need Advice

I'm looking to purchase a new rod and reel. This is my first rod and reel purchase and I need advise on what to look for. My past experience has been fishing Lakes and Rivers this past summer in Massachusetts. My planned use for the rod and reel would be shore fishing for Bass, Pike, Panfish, and Carp in the MA area. What types of things should I be considering when making my purchase. What determines how long a rod I need? Are different rods made from different materials? Are inexpensive reels any good? What is the difference between a casting rod and a spinning rod? Any favorite online shopping sites?
Thanks for the advice in advance.
P.S. As this is my first rod and reel purchase, I am looking to spend in the lower range as far as rods and reels go.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I Need Advice

if you have a walmart in the area, i would go purchase an ugly stick, about 6 1/2 foot long, medium weight and a spinning reel. normally they come as a package. get some 6 - 10 lb test line for it and you are now ready to go broke buying new lures, tackle boxes the rest of your life. rod and reel will probably run you under 50 bucks.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I Need Advice

I agree with Lee on the ugly stik for a beginner, but if you are going to fish often you will be happier if you get a reel in the $50 range, as I posted on another thread of a similar topic, shimano makes some nice ones in that price range. These reels have great drags and that is especially important when fighting fish. another thing to do is buy good line, from what fish you listed you were going to fish for, wal mart sells name brand monofilament in the $8 range in8lb test.

By the way I think that spinning outfits are best for beginners. Easy to cast and they are reliable.

In the long run it pays to have higher quality equipment.(I am not saying to spend hundreds, but you can pick and choose and come out on top!)