Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fishin' again...

Old 04-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Fishin' again...

I haven't gone fishing since my pre-teen years with my grandfather (rest his soul). All we fished for then was pan fish--blue gills and sunfish, perch if we were lucky. Well, I enjoyed it, but grandpa had all the knowledge, and he wasn't a patient teacher. He also did all the cleaning and filleting.

So now, 20 some years later, my parents are getting ready to move to New Mexico, and they found all of my old tackle, and some of grandpa's tackle and poles. They call me and asked if I want it. OF COURSE! But where do I start? No boat, no knowledge, just the idea that fishing again would be fun.

What should I do?
Old 04-03-2004, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fishin' again...

Buy a licence, find some water& catch some fish?
To simplafied? But im not sure what you are asking& need.

Never had a granpa, my stepdad couldnt be bothered.So as a kid in the slum , we would just walk or ride a bike down to the erie ship canal or waterfront& fish.So with very ill takle( sometimes with just a line, spark plug or bolt& a hook) or equipment & no money we still managed to fish some.,
So like that sneaker commerical says? Just do it!! lol

But serious if i can be of more help somehow let me know.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some of granpa's tackle might have some collector's value if not atleast it has sentmental value. Go have a blast and relive old memories.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of the best things to do as a beginner, is to subscribe to a local fishing publication. They will tell you everything from where to go, what bait works, when to go, types of tackle to use etc. Also if you don't want to do that post what type of tackle you have to use, where you are located etc. and myself and others on this site will be glad to give our 2 cents for what it is worth. In cental ohio you should have a little bit of every thing availiable to fish.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

The easiest way to catch fish is to get a float (bobber) a split shot, a #6 light wire hook, and a live minnow or worm. Put the float 2 - 3 feet above the bait, and just cast out and let it set. When the float moves (ive found that it will generally move from side to side rather than go under), pull back on the rod, and reel in your fish. Definitly make sure you have needlenose pliars with you, as fish tend to swallow the hooks when you use live bait and floats.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of the best things to do as a beginner, is to subscribe to a local fishing publication.
Sounds like a good way to start. Thanks carp!