Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Whats the diff in these Rod/Reel's

Old 03-30-2004, 12:57 PM

Default Whats the diff in these Rod/Reel's

Baitcast
Spinning
Spin cast

I wanna go to Outdoor world and get a setup but im new to this and not sure which to go with...I was told to get a Cherrywood.. I would like to get a rod/reel that could handle a big fish if i happen to run into one.....Whats the diff??
Old 03-30-2004, 09:12 PM

Default RE: Whats the diff in these Rod/Reel's

If you are totally new to fishing you want to avoid the baitcaster. I have been fishing my entire life and they still tend to give me headaches, plus they are a lot more expensive.

A baitcaster is an open faced reel that is similar to a spin cast.

A spinning reel is what I recommend. They are great all purpose rods and I use them almost exclusively when I am not fly fishing. They are most easily recognised by the wire "bail" that winds the line around the spool. They are also matched with rods that have the guides on the bottom of the rod rather than the top.

Spincasters are solid beginner reels. They are simple to use but are not as strong as spinning reels. There is nothing wrong with them, but they are not quite as useful overall as spinners in my opinion. I am goingto try to put some pictures on here for you to see the differences with. Hopefully they will work.

Andy

Here is the Spincaster

Old 03-30-2004, 09:14 PM

Here is the spinning reel.

Old 03-30-2004, 09:19 PM

And here is the baitcaster.

Any sales rep in the fishing department at any tackle store can help you identify them and tell you some pros and cons. Hope this is helpful.

The cherrywood I recommended by the way is a model of spinning rod. It is made by Berkley and is called the cherrywood. Its easy to ID because it is a bright color of red. I landed a 9 pound striper on it last week, which will fight harder than any largemouth out there.