Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

catfish baits

Old 01-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default catfish baits

I have a question. What is everyones favorite catfish baits and how do you rig them??? Thanks for any replies.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: catfish baits

depends.......what kind of catfish are you trying to catch? blues flatheads and channels all perfer something a little diffrent.....so what are you fishing for???
Old 01-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had good luck w/ chicken liver and a 2 ounce sinker fishing for channels in the Susquehanna river.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like using jumbo shrimp (unshelled) that's been sitting out in the sun for a couple hours.

I also like using ripe chicken gizzards.

One of the best, though is fresh cutbait. Bluegill, Whitebass, etc...
Old 01-30-2004, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I mostly fish for channel cats. Once in a while I'll go for flatheads. We dont have many blues where I am from here. I like to use chicken livers too. I also use chubs alot. So for whatever you fish most, what type of bait?
Old 01-31-2004, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

For little cats I have had the best success with a nice ball of nightcrawlers. But for larger cats of any type, and larger bodies of water, the smellier the better. I have had the best luck though with smelly fish cut-ups. The smellier the better, and it gives me purpose when I take the fly rod out for bluegills.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:37 PM

What I've had best luck with is to use creek chubs. Only it's all in the way you hook them though. Cats tend to go for the tails and don't really go much for the heads so you'll have better luck hooking them if you have a troublehook closer to the tail.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey fishadict whats up. Man I'm glad you got on here. I started this post. So do you like this site?
Old 02-01-2004, 03:12 PM

How about live eels. Around here 80% of the catfish tourneys are won by using live eel.This was a secret til a couple of yrs ago.I just heard that they wont pass them up.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never tried fishing with live eels before beaglefreak, i'll definelty have to try that.

I caught some on doughbait before. One of the things i used when making it is peanut butter and cottonballs to help hold it together. Works great on carp as well. I ate carp once before and [X(]

Quick Reply: catfish baits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.