Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Favorite trout set up.

Old 01-10-2004, 09:48 PM

Default Favorite trout set up.

For those who fish for trout:
What would be your fav set up, Including rod, reel, line, bait... ect.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:59 PM

Default RE: Favorite trout set up.

anyone?
Old 01-13-2004, 08:37 PM

Are you talking about open water or ice fishing? Its pretty difficult to flat line it here right now. I do a ton of lake trout and speck fishing and my favorite, by far, is a simple Go Getter with a minnow and cheater hook. This little rig works great trolling or ice fishing. The real beauty of the system is that its light and you get the full fight from the fish.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:26 PM

I am talking about open casting trout fishing. i am looking to buy a new real and tackle... the works. and was wondering what people liked to use.

thanks for the reply! your the only one in a week.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:09 AM
Spike

I use a ultra light rod/reel setup, 2 to 4 lbs line. My reel is a Mitchell but I forget what brand my rod is. 5 ft single piece. The place where I do most of my fishing is lure only, no soft plastics. There are a bunch of different variations of spoon lures out there that will work great, I prefer a lure called the Super Duper made by Luhr Jenson (http://www.luhrjensen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_2_8), you can also find them at Walmart and Bass Pro. We have had success with Rooster Tails, Road Runners, and small Rapelas. When you can use bait, worms, corn, and power bait work great.

Hope this helps and is what you were looking for.

I am actually leaving tomorrow (Thurs Jan 15th) for a weekend of fishing.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:00 AM

Default my best setup

My best setup for trout is a small ultra-lite rod and reel. I use leaf worms and fish the undercuts and deep holes in the streams of the upper peninsula of Michigan. With a few small splitshot to keep the bait rolling on the bottom. And a small strike indicator or bubble bobber I'm ready to go. Never really got into the fly fishing, since it's usually too dense in the cedar swamps where I fish.

coyote caller
Old 01-14-2004, 09:05 AM

Default RE: my best setup

I hardley ever fish for trout but when i do i use a ultra light rod by lure jensen with a quantum ultralight reel spooled with 4 pound maxima line.
Either I just throw a good ol' night crawler with a couple split shots or a drop shot with about a 2ft leader and a night crawler.
Also i have found when i am bass fishing throwing a little 2 or 3 inch grub on a jig head works great for trout.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:23 AM

Idaho hunter 58,

Ultra lite reel w/a 1 piece 7' rod (just my preference)

For stream fishing, worms w/out split shots. This allows the worm to fall/flow freely as it glides over the contour of the stream bottom. The current will find the holes and eventually the fish.

I also have had lots of good trout fishing with rooster tails (a broad range of colors black/white etc....).

Personally, I try to use as little as possible, when possible. Trout scare quite easily, especially up in the mountains where many haven't even seen half the stuff we throw at'em. Just my own personal feeling.........

Good Fishin'
Bn'R
Old 01-15-2004, 07:26 PM

thanks.... already anticipating the start of fishing
Old 01-17-2004, 03:22 AM
Fork Horn

I mainly fish trout with a fly rod.
For open casting (We call it threadlining or spinning.) I've had a lot of sucess with a Rapala lure, either in baby trout or baby bass patterns.
Also have had consistant catchs with toby lures in black & gold.

I use a very light weight rod and reel and 5-10 pound line, sometimes use a floro-carbon tippet.

If you'd like to know my fly fishing set-up let me know.

Quick Reply: Favorite trout set up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.