Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Retirement present / Father's Day present (New PFD!)

Old 06-17-2024, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Retirement present / Father's Day present (New PFD!)

Wow... I forgot to mention this over the weekend, but, I got a new dedicated fishing/kayak PFD! Very nice, very comfortable, and all sorts of pockets all over the front. What's cool is the two bottom pockets even have those rubberized fishing lure/hook holders, and are protected too, so you don't get jabbed.

I will wear the new mesh fishing PFD every time I go kayak fishing. Even though the James River here in VA is pretty much like the Susquehanna in PA (3 feet deep, 4 feet max.... 350 yards across... 1/4 mile across at a wide spot... etc... etc...) People have always joked that if you're in a canoe or kayak, and get dumped.... just stand up on the bottom and get back in! But then, safety should always come first.

Old 06-17-2024, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Very nice Butch. A PFD plus.
Old 06-17-2024, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very nice and useful gift. I got my grandson a 3 day wild boar hunt for him and his dad, and me of course. Here is my grandson's and my hog. my son-in-law's hpg was already butchered before I got bach from my hunt.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-18-2024 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-17-2024, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow... Nice!!!! Very nice!!! I've never been hog hunting, but would love to see what my Savage .308 could do to a hog!

That reminds me (separate topic)... Back when I used to play trumpet/cornet with The Shriners Band here in town. Occasionally the guys (the "motor patrol" -- in the mini cars, etc..) would go somewhere and get a massive 175-200 lb fully gutted hog. They would get as many guys as possible, dig a trench in the ground, bags and bags and dozens of bags of charcoal, and "stand watch" over it for 10-12 hours, slowly grilling, slowly smoking, etc... They would then have everyone who knows everyone all around Richmond, come to The Shriners and have a massive Pig Roast, Pulled Pork, etc... They made a bundle, selling tickets, all going towards The Shriners Hospital.
Old 06-17-2024, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice hogs. Those are much bigger than what I always thought they were. Pretty impressive critters.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ButchA
Wow... Nice!!!! Very nice!!! I've never been hog hunting, but would love to see what my Savage .308 could do to a hog!

That reminds me (separate topic)... Back when I used to play trumpet/cornet with The Shriners Band here in town. Occasionally the guys (the "motor patrol" -- in the mini cars, etc..) would go somewhere and get a massive 175-200 lb fully gutted hog. They would get as many guys as possible, dig a trench in the ground, bags and bags and dozens of bags of charcoal, and "stand watch" over it for 10-12 hours, slowly grilling, slowly smoking, etc... They would then have everyone who knows everyone all around Richmond, come to The Shriners and have a massive Pig Roast, Pulled Pork, etc... They made a bundle, selling tickets, all going towards The Shriners Hospital.
Butch, My .308 Mod 88 Winchester put a lot of hogs on the ground. I have to admit I posted the hog pics in the wrong thread, I thought I was putting it in the graduation gift thread.
Old 06-18-2024, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Butch, My .308 Mod 88 Winchester put a lot of hogs on the ground. I have to admit I posted the hog pics in the wrong thread, I thought I was putting it in the graduation gift thread.
Not a problem... Congratulations to you and your grandson!
Old 06-20-2024, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats Butch! So does this mean you're finally retired?
Old 06-20-2024, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Congrats Butch! So does this mean you're finally retired?
Yup... It's official.... I am now in VRS (Virginia Retirement System) and I just now (earlier today) went onto the massive Social Security system, logged in, and filled out screen after screen after screen, of personal data. Saving it each time I proceed.

Last edited by ButchA; 06-20-2024 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-20-2024, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Congratulations my friend!! Welcome to the retirement ranks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.