Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Season Done

Old 02-27-2024, 02:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Season Done

I think the ice fishing season is done. It is a record early end to the ice. I have kept records since 2012 and the previous early end to the ice was March 9. Most years it makes it to the end of March to mid April. I'm on the ice around December 18 or so but this year was January 11. Global warming?????
Old 02-27-2024, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

I've been working in a t shirt the last two days.

Trees have buds on them.

And seen two of these already
Old 02-27-2024, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

We don’t have much ice up here either but hoping to get another week in. I will have to wait until after this next storm goes through though. Supposed to be around 50 here tomorrow with high winds and around 2.5 inches of rain. So if the shores aren’t to bad I will be out after a few more fish.. But everything up here has been bad with the ice and no snow to speak of. They canceled the biggest sled dog race because of a lack of snow as well. Those high winds we are not used and have created a lot of damage this year..
Old 03-15-2024, 10:07 AM
Dominant Buck

My boats are still in winter storage and my pro bass fishing buddy just called me and asked if I wanted 3 walleye he just caught on the last day of walleye season.
All set and in the freezer. Tomorrow he is bringing his Phoenix boat to CT to trade in for a new one. The pros have all the good toys.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

It was 77 degrees yesterday here in PA. I have never ice fished I always figured Ice was for whisky not for fishing. I do have good fiends that ice fish but they have not been able the last couple of years because we had no safe ice.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
It was 77 degrees yesterday here in PA. I have never ice fished I always figured Ice was for whisky not for fishing. I do have good fiends that ice fish but they have not been able the last couple of years because we had no safe ice.
I hear you and suspect as time goes on our winters will become more like what you are having down in PA. The one thing that kept me up here in Vermont in winter was ice fishing. I'm not sure what will come if this crappy winter thing continues.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Up here where I am we are in the same situation. There’s been a quite a few lakes already ice free which are setting state records at how quickly the ice is disappearing. More lakes are expected to follow the same route. These warm temps and ice leaving early is creating concerns over our wild brook trout populations. They have already been having a hard time with droughts the past couple of years. The rate things have been changing us Mainers are going to have to adapt to doing things differently..