Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fishing Story

Old 02-02-2002, 05:05 PM

Default Fishing Story

heres a story i entered in a fishin story contest but sadly lost i thougth id share it with yall its true
This story takes place during the dog days of summer last year. I have fished on the Ohio River for catfish all of my life, the first fish I ever learned to catch was a cat. Well anyway it had just rained and the river was on the rise, and it looked like the perfect time for fishing, so I got my gear together and my friend and me decided to go night fishing that week.

I set minnow traps and caught dozens of shiners and kept them in a tank. I also went to a local lake and caught about 15 bluegills and kept them for bait. When the day came that we decided to go we both gathered all our gear and picked out the exact spot and planned to fish the whole night. About seven o'clock that evening we decided to go. I walked out to my bait
tank with my minnow bucket to discover everyone of them dead!!!!

The only thing alive was one huge bluegill that I don even know why I kept because of its size. Even though I was disappointed I didn't let that get me down. I put the bluegill in my bucket and got grabbed my gear and walked down to my friends house. We put our gear in his car and decide to head to the local bait shop for some night crawlers and chicken liver since we
didn't have any shiners and one bluegill. We walked in the bait shop and looked around.

We ended up buying a dozen minnows and some night crawlers. We looked around a little bit more and were on our way. We drove down the dirt road that led to the river bank and hit a bump and I heard a splash I turned around and the minnows had spilled all over the car. We stopped and
got them back in without killing too many. We finally made it to the river we stepped out and got ready to head down the bank, We discovered though we had stayed a little late at the bait shop and it was dark, but that was okay because I always carry a mini mag flashlight in my tackle box every time I go fishing.except that night, but my buddy had remembered his so we were okay too until we found out the batteries were dead.

So we blindly stumbled down the bank and thought our troubles were finally over until we reached the bank to find in the exact spot we had planned to fish we found a group of people camping, and they weren't even fishing. Not wanting to give up we walked up the river to a spot we had never fished before.

We got set up and I cast out my rods. I put the bluegill on a seven foot; heavy action Ugly Stik, with an Abu Garcia 5500 with 36lb test braided line, and a kahle hook, then cast it out and did not click the handle so it would free spool. Then I casted out a spinning rig. My friend set out two rods with night
crawlers.

We set in our chairs and patiently waited, about nine thirty I got a nibble on my spinning rig. I lifted up the rod felt a bite and set the hook.into a log. After breaking the line I bent over to tie on a new rig and heard something rip and felt a slight draft, I stood up reached for my back pocket, but it wasn't there. The whole backside of my pants had a hole in them!!! By now I was getting a little discouraged. I set down again and we
started talking. We were joking around and I said, "any minute now my rod is going to bend over I am going to catch the biggest flathead you've ever seen." I picked up my other rod and started reeling it in to see if it still had bait on it. All of a sudden he hollered "YOUR ROD" I looked down
at my other rod, it lunged forward and the line was about all pulled out of my reel. I threw down my other rod ran down the bank and grabbed the rod and set the hook, only to find I forgot to turn the handle to turn it off free spool. I quickly turned the handle and jerked again to feel what felt like another log but it was going the other way. I fought him for a while
then started gaining some line. I had him about three-quarters of the way in when my rod and line went limp. I knew what had happened and I couldn't believe it, the biggest fish I had ever hooked into had got away. We fished for about a half hour after that without any bites or enthusiasm, so we packed up and stumbled back up the bank to the car to find the odor of
minnows in the back seat. We loaded up and drove away, at first I was disappointed, but when I think of it now it is really actually funny. This story that I just told is true and if you don't believe me I have the pants to prove it.
Old 02-02-2002, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fishing Story

man what a nite...i had a few i thought couldnt get worse...but they ended up better...i also had hunting trips i thought my dad was gunna kill me on coz it was a bad day that ended to be some of the best days we spent in the woods...but also had a few like yours....sorry to here about the fish....did ya every think it coulda bin a snapping turtle?? i caught on in the ohio...atleast 45 lbs...on 17lb test!!!i gess he wanted to come in..i had lil ones put there feet in the rocks and just snap my line like nothin...and they all felt like a hige snag...jsut a thought...
mauser06