Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Other fun things to do while fishing..

Old 04-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Other fun things to do while fishing..

Besides trying to out fish one another there a few more things that I like to do...one is to fish a lure that you don't normally fish...AND leave ALL other lures at home..Here are a list of lures I take but seldom use and plan to try...

Rooster Tail

Fluke

Carolina Rig.....rigged properly (-;

Jig ....all day deep and shallow water

Johnson Silver Spoon in the weeds all day

Rapalas ....shallow, deep and jerk baits

A 10 inch worm

A lizard

Bass Bugs on a fly rod...
My first try will be the Rooster Tail...maybe tomorrow...NEW MOON is this Wednesday...should be butt kicking great Monday and Tues.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Another thing I like to do when the fishing is slow...is take my boat to places where they lose lures in the trees....I found some good stuff last Sat....well, let me go charge up the battery...and get ready for some spinner bait casting tomorrow..I'm hoping for some tilapia...good eatting fish.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those are a few good suggestions Chuck. I have found that I learn a lure best when I use it exclusively on multiple trips. It took me a few more than usual to get decent with larger cranks, and I'm still not there yet to be completely honest, but repetition breeds success and success breeds confidence and I am slowly becoming confident with crankbaits. Never had a problem with smaller cranks though, I could generally catch a few crappie and perch with a small strike king crank, but larger cranks I wasnt real comfortable with until recently.

My next crank bait experience will be with silent cranks. I'm anxious to give them a try but I still need to learn a lot more with regular cranks before I would feel comfortable being able to compare the two.

However, with all of that being said, my favorite thing to do when the fishing is slow is to eat, lol. I love bringing snacks on the boat and just relaxing with a good snack while watching things around me. There is nothing more relaxing when the fishing is slow than to sit and enjoy the surroundings.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Aaron...I also bring a camera..just in case a need opportunity presents itself.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:18 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Tack on a twister tail onto that Silver Spoon. Then try to land on the flat top of a lily pad. Twitch it as much as you can before pulling it off the pad - there may be someone waiting for it when it plops off the edge!