Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Gonna try it again...

Old 08-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Dominant Buck

My experience has been lake bottom as well. I once had 2 large bluegills as pets...they would eat cheese out of my hand. Whatever color the sand was.was the color of the fish,,,they would blend in perfectly...sometimes I wondered what happened to them..they blended in that good...

Activites today...I went to a football game to watch my student play...
I tried something new..I tried smoking 4 chicken quarters on the little Weber Smokey Joe...WOW!,,,,,turned out perfect..I saw it done on YouTube....took 2 hours ..but they were great..you pile up the coal on one side..fill a small bread pan half way with water...and open the top vent only 1/2 way...add wodchips on top..and a bunch wrapped loosely in foil...The chicken of course is placed on the opposite side of the coals with the vent over the chicken...I just ordered a grill thermometer off eBay...looks like a nice one..free shipping..10.00

They were golden brown and smoked through....and only 210 calories a piece..lost 26 Pounds so far.I ate 2 with a large salad and about 20 baked fries..200 calories for the frys. I'm allows 2190 calories a day..I drink about 8 big glasses of lime water a day..I have a lime tree..I also live close by a very clean Farmer's market..we eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.

Beautiful pics Phil..wish I was there...to hunt a moose(-;

Last edited by Chuck7; 08-25-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

That chicken sounds good I will have to check that out sometime before our weather starts getting to cold. I have a smoker but never thought of looking on youtube for any ideas for it.. Thanks for the ideas..

Yeah, I wish I could get a tag again but, I really can not complain as I had one back in 09. Those moose keep showing up and I am trying to get a buck to come into it. I am thinking those moose are keeping the bucks away. They can be very teritorial at times. I will be trying to call one of those bad boys out to get some pics on my camera this September. Also those videos of the moose are getting alot of attention so I may end up calling one out for a hunter or two.

Well I dragged the canoe down to that small lake and found out there is no way any largemouths in there. But, those smallmouths are every where. Almost every cast I had caught one. I drifted around most of the whole lake catching smallmouths. nothing with any real size to them though. The biggest ones were in the 14 inch range wieghing in at 2lbs. and 2 1/4 ibs. But, it was quite refreshing to be the only one on the whole lake in a canoe enjoying the day. I did not take any pics of the fish as I am already in second place and see no need to. Now if I can get a 3 1/2 pounder or up I will post a pic of it for you all to see.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 08-26-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:20 AM
Dominant Buck

I have 2 Smokey Joes in case I have company..Walmart either sells them for 20-30 dollars..I forget...I also just ordered a 2nd temp gauge from the same person..one site wanted 29.00... I got them both for 20.00 with free shipping.
I've been researching for a good quality smoker...and also keeping tabs on every penny we spend for a year to see if I can retire in the summer of 2014.

I decided to look at YouTube and see if anyone tried smoking on the Smokey Joe..I was surprised,.that grill is a real hit..

Pros..
Tough porcelain coated metal.
Top is heavy ..prevents leaks..
4 hole bottom vent..leave these wide open and holes clean
1 top vent..to adjust heat
Uses very little coal..and once the top vent is closed the fire goes out in 15 minutes...saving your coals for the next smoking..
Excellent for 2 people...but open grilling can feed 4 easily..I bought an extra one for when the boys come over and I decide to do ribs.
Easy to store..requires very little space..
Cheap.i ,m 90% sure at Walmart they are 19.95
Easy to clean...I have the same grate from the 1980s...but I bought a back up at Home Depot.
While hunting ..sits nicely on the tail gate..(-;

Cons...tiny bit of rust on one of the legs...was bought in the mid 1980s .

Last edited by Chuck7; 08-26-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can put up another smallie tonight as I have a 3 1/4 lber, 17 3/4 inches.. I am sorry for the date being so big.. My programs on this is messing up..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 08-27-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice pretty fish Phillip ...the date is great as my eyes are going bad...

A few months ago I had to retake my eye test for my driver's license...I almost failed the eye exam..when the lady told me to read line 3 I said," it's in ***anese." I was being serious..she assured me it was English and I better find a way to read it....That was close.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys it has been nice getting to compete in the tourney with all of you.. Also all of you I have met here over the years.. I can easily see that the insults will not be going away any time soon so it is about time for me to make my departure. I wish you all the best and yes I will still answer the PMs as stated earlier.. Take care and god bless! If any of you get a chance take a look at my canon thread in the photography forum for a quick minute.. Anyways here is just a little something as i part my way out..