Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Back to Basics

Old 06-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Back to Basics

Today was the first day I have fished in over 25 years. Grabbed my wife, 5 year old son, two $12 poles from Wal-Mart, one spiderman pole, some random lures and night crawlers and headed out to the Cumberland River in Tennessee. We had a blast. My wife caught a small catfish, I caught a sunfish, and my son had a blast showing off the worms to all the kids. He did a great job explaining how "they don't bite". I did have "one that got away" when a very nice size striper broke the line on my sons spiderman pole when i got it to surface. With that said any pointers out there for "the beginner". My wife and I really want to get back into it. Thanks and good luck!!
Old 06-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Glad you guys got out to enjoy the outdoors. When you say pointers, you might have to be more specific. Are you talking about tackle? Locations? Methods?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Let's talk tackle and locations for starters if that narrows it down? We will be fishing a large river that has barge traffic (I read somewhere that that is good to point out). The river has bass, catfish, sunfish etc.... I would say we will fish for bass and catfish primarily. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Love the title of the thread..I thrive in keeping it simple...and yet catching the big one..

Most importantly is your line ...so I got some questions,,

A, what size cat fish may be the biggest you will tackle..
B, are you using live bait..
C. Are you fishing around lily pads and weeds or just an occasional brush pile or rock pile

The reel...if your under a tight budget...keep your Spiderman..lol they do work

Rod...use what you have,,

IF you want to do better..I'd recommend going back to Walmart...where you can get an open faced spinning combo..since kids may be using it..a 6 footer is great,,I wouldn't get nothing less than a medium action..the action is written right on the rod..

Most cheap line has swirls and tangles easily which can destroy a fishing trip..break down and buy the 6.00 spool of Trilene XL. 10 pound test...learn how to tie the improved clinch not for less break offs..
Old 06-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

A, what size cat fish may be the biggest you will tackle.. 3-5lb average size
B, are you using live bait..Yes and also artificial
C. Are you fishing around lily pads and weeds or just an occasional brush pile or rock pile.... Brush pile and rock

Thanks for the rest of the advice. Not hanging up the spiderman pole yet .... Might be my lucky charm!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

The only expense you may have is better line..I'd go with 10 pound Trilene XL ..about 5.00 at Walmart..

I presume you are using a closed faced reel..They tend to have unreliable drags..most likely why you lost your fish..and line hang ups..I no onger have any of these type of reels.

Back in 1983 my wife and I were on a very tight budget..We picked up 2 cheap open faced Diawa combos for about 20.00 each ,,,they lasted for a few years..I landed bass up to 7 pounds on it and catfish up to 5..It's all you need..

If you need advice..when fishing live bait..don't use any split shot bigger than a BB and your hook should be a # 10..It's about 1 inch long..I like the gold hooks. I generally tie on the hook and then put a split shot about 10 inches above the hook..cast out as far as you can and put your rod in a forked stick and watch..{ -; catfish and shellcrackers are very suttle.

If you use a bobber..try to keep your bait about 12 inches off the bottom.

Last edited by Chuck7; 06-04-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

I don't have much advice to give as I primarily fly fish, but Chuck gave you some sound advice!

When I used to catfish, I would just use the "3-way rig" on this website with chicken liver.

http://www.whiskerkitty.com/RiggingOptions.html

It worked better for river systems where a bobber would float away more quickly, reducing the amount of time your bait stays in the strike zone.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Thank 0004,

One thing may need to be varied..it really depends on how swift your river is for the sinker..most of my rivers were the slow easy type..but I have seen some mighty rivers as well that would require more weight.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

guys i would suggest he go after panfish. their quite easy and your family will have a blast catching them. if you do a good job and really enjoy it, then go for something more complicated!!
as for catching panfish, its very simple lol as long as you have a pole i like either ponds or right next to docks. just put a hook and slip bobber on you line and hook up a worm!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

Great advice and pointers guys. I will b off to a good start. My wife loves to fish and I forgot how much I enjoyed it. Her and I will be doing some serious fishing soon. I like the point about fishing for the panfish and sunfish. That is something I want to do with my son. Lots of fun, action and activity for my boy until he is older. But yeah I would like to set up systems for my wife and I. The river we fish is pretty wide strong and steady. And deep! I wasn't getting hits until my line and drifted closer to shore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.