Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Buttersides...

Old 05-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Buttersides...

It has been a good weekend. The parents came up to visit, so not much fishing. All the usual signs of summer abound....

I took them to the trout stream to show them where I fish. I could easily spot fish and wished that I had thought to grab the fly rod. However, that would have been selfish of me.

As soon as they got on the road today I headed straight to the back to the stream with plans to fish all day. After a short hike....

I arrive here...

It didn't take long to connect with a little camera shy brown...

I snuck up on this guy...

I thought it was a beaver at first, but it didn't have a flat tail.Maybe it's a nutria rat? Not sure if we have them here, but I wouldn't know what else it would be...

I switched locations trying to find some decent water. The water was extremely low. I have never seen it this low since I have been fishing there.

Before long, I'm back into the little buttersides...

I wish I had a greenie weenie with me.

I had to dodge a few canoes and several other fisherman. Needless to say I didn't get to fish how and where I wanted. Maybe there are still a few larger ones waiting. I missed a few good strikes, but I had my 3wt, so a "good strike" can be misleading.

This was the biggest of the day...
Old 05-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nutria for sure. Beautiful pictures as usual!
Old 05-29-2012, 01:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

It looks and swims like a muskrat to me. We have lots of them up here.
Nice pics by the way and congrats on catching a few browns. Pretty lucky to be catching any with the canoes and all going by. Were they fishing as well?

I have been doing a little trout fishing my self and have been getting some nice brookies on my Albright 4 piece pack rod.. It is a lot of fun hitting the trout with a dry fly, and you can see them rising everywhere. I haven't got a small point and shoot camera right now and wouldn't carry my Canon in with me. So unfortunately I can not show any pics right now. I will take it up to Grandlake stream sometime and show some pics of some folks flyfishing that just the same.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-29-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

I would like to see some pics Phil. Especially of brook trout. The other people were not fishing mostly. Maybe one or two canoes came through with fisherman. Of course they paddled right in front of me, while fishing the hole I was fishing before they came through. What can you do? You can't fix stupid....

The varmit has been confirmed as a muskrat.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

whoops, guess I was wrong...Nutria for NOT SO sure
Old 05-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Beautiful pics my friend...I guess those are brook trout..correct ?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Chuck7
Beautiful pics my friend...I guess those are brook trout..correct ?
Chuck, these are brown trout. I had to keep one, couldn't revive it, and pan fried it in some butter. It was good. But in my experience all stocked trout taste the same, regardless of the species. I am curious what difference, if any, there is between wild brook, rainbow, and brown.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wild brook trout taste much better that the stocked ones to me. They have a few ponds stocked around here but I pass them by. Stocked trout at least brookies anyway are very mushy and no where near as firm or the flavor.