Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Good friend got a good one today [pic]

Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Chuck7
First of all...an apology to Buckhunter for hi jacking his thread..

Alabama Fly Fisherman and Phil..you've both been a great help...I noticed that we have a lot of dragonflies around..orange colored...are there any bass bugs that resemble dragonflies? These are the only insects that I'm aware of that I've seen causing bass to bust the surface...and those that bust are pretty darn good sized bass....some up to 8 pounds..entire bass leaping up shaking their big red flared gills.

Thanks again,
Chuck7

I too apologize BH14 for the thread hijack.

Chuck, Bass Pro (not sure if one is near you) carries a dragonfly fly. The best bass bugs for me have been Dahlberg divers and poppers (foam and deer hair) on top. When I need to go subsurface, I have good luck with clouser minnows and crayfish patterns. Maybe even some topwater frog action may be good for where you are too.

For topwater, I throw it close to the bank, let it sit for 15 seconds. I do a small pop and let it sit until the dimples on the water disappear. I do this several times before I get impatient and re-cast.
I've been told that surface retrieves, in particular, should fit your temperament. The goal is to have fun, not give yourself an ulcer!

I mainly pursue smallmouth bass. These have very little in common with largemouth, so my tactics are very different except what I posted above.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks to all..I've really enjoyed all of your company. I'll be checking the tournament weights on Sunday....none of you have ticked me off..I've had/having problems in other areas on HNI..You all have been a reel { -; blessing . I will miss you ..
Old 03-28-2012, 02:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I too apologize BH14 for the thread hijack, as well as to Chuck and mrl0004.

As I have not and do not fly fish with any sort of looped leaders. Most up here do it differently and our leaders have no loops at all. Yes they are still tapered and every fly fisherman knows why that is.. One particular fly that would come to my mind where you fish Chuck. That would be a deer hair tied mouse that can be popped across the lilly pads. If you come across one and decide to use it I would surely be prepared for some serious action.. It may work well if the bass are on top feeding like you have stated as well.

none of you have ticked me off..I've had/having problems in other areas on HNI..
That is good to know and I also know about having issues on other forums on here as well. Part of the reason I am not on here as much either. I am in the turkey contest as well as planning on getting some pics off my trailcam to share in that forum. Other than that there will not be much postings here for me. I will be checking in on the tourneys every now and then however.. Take Care...
Old 03-28-2012, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

No problems here fellas, I could add my .02 but it has been very well covered, I'm all for discussion.

Been turkey scouting a little bit, got some great photos! Look at the hooks on this guy!!

Old 03-28-2012, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

whoa, nice spurs!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by buckhunter14
No problems here fellas, I could add my .02 but it has been very well covered, I'm all for discussion.

Been turkey scouting a little bit, got some great photos! Look at the hooks on this guy!!

Hold on, let me wipe the drool off of my keyboard! The weather screwed us down here. The birds had already mated before the season opened. I am still in the hunt for my first ever thunder chicken.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Chuck7
Thanks to all..I've really enjoyed all of your company. I'll be checking the tournament weights on Sunday....none of you have ticked me off..I've had/having problems in other areas on HNI..You all have been a reel { -; blessing . I will miss you ..
Wait, did I miss something? You're leaving?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice spurs indeed. Very fun to watch the non-dominant bird, not pictured. A very nice tom, but he would not get withing 40 yards of this bad boy and his hens.

Originally Posted by mrl0004
Hold on, let me wipe the drool off of my keyboard! The weather screwed us down here. The birds had already mated before the season opened. I am still in the hunt for my first ever thunder chicken.

I am slightly concerned of this as well, as we are a month ahead of schedule and season is 3.5 weeks out. Last year I shot a tom opening day April 18 in a blizzard with 3 inches of snow. This year is looking completely opposite.

I do have an opposition to this though. I do think toms may be more difficult to locate in these conditions, although boys will be boys. Similar to a rutting buck, no matter what time of year if there is a hot hen around that tom will come lurking. Live hens will be bred early this year, not doubt. But, the dominate toms will always stretch out the "fun" for as long as they can, and they will be willing to come into an unsuspecting lone hen!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Realy nice spurs and that beard is nothing to sneeze at either.. I hope you get a chance to nail him.. Good Luck to you. I scouted a little this morning but only saw 2 hens. Then went on to try and find a place to set up my trail cam. Ended up being stuck in the mud for around 5 and a half hours.. That was not fun at all. I should of known better but the road looked pretty solid.. Anyways while waiting for a tow to come out I scouted around where I am thinking about setting up a trailcam. I saw 3 deer in there and one was a yearling piebald. I am thinking it is a young buck and how I would like to see his daddy..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 03-29-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by buckhunter14
I do have an opposition to this though. I do think toms may be more difficult to locate in these conditions, although boys will be boys. Similar to a rutting buck, no matter what time of year if there is a hot hen around that tom will come lurking. Live hens will be bred early this year, not doubt. But, the dominate toms will always stretch out the "fun" for as long as they can, and they will be willing to come into an unsuspecting lone hen!
I agree that when a tom thinks he can have some fun he will. It's in his best interest to mate with as many hens as possible to spread his genes. So if there is a willing hen that hasn't been bred they "should" come in. However, those Toms start wondering vast distances in those bachelor groups after the hens are mated. It's a dice game to be in the right place at the right time. Also, they are almost always silent. Further complicating locating them. It's kind of like you just have to chance upon one. In the 3 days I hunted, I didn't. Called in 2 hens that were so close I could have touched them with my gun. They came in silent too, except one clucked a little.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.