Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

GREAT afternoon of fishing!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default GREAT afternoon of fishing!

I went out hunting for big bertha but it simply wasnt happening once I arrived at my little honey hole. I only wanted to fish for 2 hours and after the first hour passed with nothing to show for it but a 3 lb'r, I was bummed. Luckily, I brought my sons fishing rod with me if I decided to try using live bait for bass, in which case I would use his rod to catch the live bait.

I toss the plastic lure in the water and before I knew what was happening I had a 13 inch crappie tugging hard. 6 casts and 6 crappie later I was having a blast. I fished for another 30 minutes landing countless crappie, and called it a day. I totaled 11 crappie over 12 inches in about 45 minutes with the largest being a hair shy of 14. I can't even count how many smaller ones I hauled in. I was a GREAT day fishing and dinner last night was fantastic: Fried Crappie, Fried Shrimp, Cocktail and Remoulade Sauce, Corn Cob, and Maccaroni (for the kids)

Last edited by Gangly; 02-27-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Awesome man...glad you had such a wonderful time...AND a 3 pounder is nothing to get bummed about..A 3 pounder is a heck of a nice fish..They are tough fighters and can easilly snap mon if not played correctly.

Good meals in store..IF you soak them in butter milk..{ -; This will firm the texture of the meat really well.

God bless,
C7
Old 02-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, its great meat, but it can come out mushy if its not soaked. I soaked it in regular milk for about an hour before cooking and it wasnt long enough (usually like to soak it for 8 hours or overnight). The taste was wonderful though as usual.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I generallt soak them all night in butter milk..got the recipe from a die hard New York fishermen and they proved to be just the ticket..

Then at supper time I get out a big black iron skillet

I fill it up about 1/3 way with PEANUT OIL.{ get's fish brown quick without scorching}

Then in a bowl I mix 2/3 flour with 1/3 yellow corn meal..lots of salt and pepper and paperica for color.
Now lightly flour fillets{ Flour only at this time}..dredge in milk and egg solution
{ 2 eggs and about a 1/4 cup of milk}
THEN coat fillets in the corn meal mixture.

When oil is popping hot..carefully place fillets in oil until golden brown on both sides..

yes sir..good stuff.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, I usually use a rebel minnow and a strike king bitsy crank for crappie and perch, but I tried out a new plastic lure and have had great success with it lately, not just yesterday. Its a straight tail 2" lure. The tail has TONS of action and I have been basically doing an ultra slow steady retrieve (1 turn ever 5-7 seconds) with constant little shakes of the rod tip.

Favorite color so far is the Electric Chicken

Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey ..it's working..I'd keep doing it..

Like my black trick worm..I get tempted to put a Culpret Black on but I won't ,The trick worm action is incredible on the drop..It actually darts and looks like a real worm.It doesn't go straight down as most would think..it goes off on a 45 degree angle wiggling very slowly..As I lift, if I feel any resistant.it's proven 100 % of the time to be a fish..I then quicky reel down toward the water and set the hook as if the fish is 5 pounds..This worked 19/24 times Sat...If I set lighter..the fish is off..if I try to cross her eyes I pull it out of her mouth,,I also like the rod I use..I do better with some rods than others ..that's for sure.my favorite is the 7 foot Fenwick Legend Triggerstick..cost me 5.00 at a yardsale..nw is 80.00.The handle was to long for my likings so I cut off 2 inches and sanded the fat cork handle to comfortably fit my hand..It's my best rod ..I have a President Pfluger on it..they don't cast worth a nickel but their teflon drag makes them nice flipping or pitching.

Last edited by Chuck7; 02-27-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, not enough is said about having the right equipment and lure, and without those properly matched you can turn a potentially good day of fishing into garbage. I firmly believe in matching my equipment to my quarry and I do so fanatically. Like you mentioned, you have to find that rod/reel/lure combo that best suits your fishing style and tactics. Once you do, you'll be rewarding yourself with fish in the boat. A fish hooked but not landed is no better than snagging an underwater tree limb: the end result is one re-tied hook and multiple muttered adjectives.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Amen ..and last year I ws looking for a 7 foot MH spinning rod.I found one at Sports Authority made in AL called a Hurrican redbone..80.00 proved to be an 80 piece of garbage..The rod is too heavy and to sloppy..zero sensitivity..I tried it last week and went 0 /5 using a jig..It's now set aside as a cat fish rod or Good Will..totaly useless..so just because an item cost 100.00 doesnt' mean it good stuff.and just becasue a rod can be found at a garage sale doesn't mean it's junk..

you are right..one must be confident in his equipment and lure ..that helps a ton
Old 02-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

wow great day and great eating

is that a Bobby Garland bait????

take care man, and keep catchin'em
Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats, I am glad to see you had a great day out there..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.