Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Cold and wet

Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Chuck7
I 've caught a few bass on a flyrod..but still there are many
elementary things that I don't know..

FEW QUESTIONS

Like line weight..I havn't a clue what they mean
Line weight tells you what weight rod the line is for. 5 wt line for a 5wt rod. Sometimes people over line them to account for casting difficulties, etc. (ie - a 7wt line on a 5wt rod)

I'm not sure if I'm attaching the leader to the line or not..
I buy this littl emedal eye thing that sticks into the green
floating line..and then tie about 5 foot of 10 pound mono
to it..I do know how to cast a fly rod..Presently I don't
have one..I sold it in a garage sale along time ago..
Leader attaches to fly line. Your choice is tapered or furled. Furled leaders are several monofilament lines twisted together. Tapered start thick and the diameter shrinks as you go down, as the name suggests.

Question..how does one decide what weight line to buy ?
This all depends on what you want to catch. Phil from Maine hit the nail on the head with the 7wt rec for bass. If you want to chase bluegill and crappie too, I would suggest a 3 or 4wt.

What material in your fly rod do you guys like to use mostly?/
bamboo, graphite or any other?
I use graphite, but it's cheaper than bamboo. It has been said that with a graphite rod you can feel every head shake and move a fish makes, but with a bamboo rod you can feel its' heartbeat. Again, it comes down to personal preference.

I would mostly use bugs / large poppers for bass..
When fishing for pass in structure..what size poundage leader
would you use..
You can probably answer this one better than me. I don't bass fish much anymore, and if I do, it's on top (poppers). I use an 8lb mono tippet for this.

What to you guys mostly use for a leader?
As stated above, I use a furled leader. The other option is tapered. I like furled because it's more durable, it turns over a fly better, and you can change tippet size more easily.

What is a tippit?
fancy word for leader.

Is a bamboo fly rod the best? I've been looking on ebay for an old
in very good shape vintage bamboo rod...
Absolutely not. It's like asking is spinning or baitcasting best. They all have their place, but it comes down to preference. A good graphite rod will cost between $100-$700. A good bamboo rod starts where the graphite leaves off, in the $700 range. Anything less and you're wasting money IMHO. You also need to consider reels. A good reel starts at $100 and they run up to $600.

Chuck, I originally started fly fishing because I wanted to be an extremely well rounded fisherman. I wanted to be familiar with every style of fishing there is. That way if I had a chance to travel for a fly fishing trip, I would know what I was doing and get my full enjoyment out of it. Since that day, I haven't picked up a spinning or baitcasting rod. There is way too much left for me to accomplish on the fly.

If you are seriously wanting to get back into fly fishing, or just get another rod to occasionally use it, I would recommend a 5wt. That is the most well rounded rod you can get. Small enough to keep bluegill fun, but large enough to handle bass. I use the Redington crosswater 5wt. It's modestly priced at $100 and I bought a $100 reel. This was bought as a starter set, but I have caught smallmouth, largemouth and trout on it. It has performed flawlessly, and is my go to rod for just about anything.

S if I may suggest a rod weight for you, I would say, get a 5wt. It is small enough to make panfish exciting, and large enough for bass. And it's a good compromise rod instead of buying a 3wt for panfish and a 7wt for bass, and not to mention cheaper. It won't do the flippin' stuff you do, but no fly rod will do that effectively.