Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Another brown weekend

Old 09-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Another brown weekend

I love trout fishing in smaller creeks off of main rivers, especially ones full of brown trout. After a while though, I need more. Maybe some bigger smallies, or finally getting a redeye bass. However, didn't feel like braving any new ground today. Today was trout again. I walked past my usual path to sit on the bridge and watch the fish for a while and enjoy a beverage.

All I could see were the usual runts, but they're still fun. So, game plan in mind and fly selected/tied on, I hit the water.

First fish is the average runt that I see everywhere.

I noticed a hatch coming off, but couldn't see what they were. Not that it matters, because I don't have any sz. 28 flies. I did manage to catch one eventually to look at it. Anyone know what it is? Looked small for a mayfly, so I was thinking some sort of midge.

I heard fish hitting everywhere, but it was hard to get them to eat what I had. I tried a streamer for a while to no avail. This is the first time I have went there without having ANY fog on the water. I guess that can be a good thing and a bad thing. I could for once sight fish, but they could also see me better. It was cool seeing some decent size browns come up and give my fly a look, then dart back below. There was one that was 12-14" that kept "almost" attacking my fly. I thought I finally got him, but it was his little brother.

I kept trying different flies and finally got him to eat a march brown. (sz14).

Notice the white tip on their fins, reminds me of brookies.

Close up....

It was getting late, and the mosquitoes were pissing me off, so I started fishing my way back. Caught a few more of these...

When I got back to my car, I noticed I had a demon cat sitting next to it.

Good thing my g/f wasn't with me, I would have had to take the damn cat home.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

great pics...the cat almost looks like an owl sitting there...and i'm sure thats not a mayfly, those things are full size within minutes
Old 09-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks! The cat wouldn't leave me alone. Come to find out there were 3 others in the bushes. I got out of there.....quick!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great pics MRL. I noticed the top of that can said "Legally Brewed Since 2008"
Old 09-20-2011, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

My wife would have taken the cat.She belongs to group that traps..spays and neuters them ..

The beer..I had to quit drinking..it gives me inappropriate thoughts ..{ -;

The fishin...looks awesome..

Looking forward to meeting you in Bama..one of these days..

Here's one of the ferels the my wife tamed..I have an awesome kitten I'll post later...His name is Tony the Tiger..we call him Tony..cute as a button.

Last edited by Chuck7; 09-20-2011 at 07:22 AM.