Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

The snag that’s actually a BITE

Old 04-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The snag that’s actually a BITE

I lost two fish when late-night fishing with a French spinner on Sunday because I never felt the strike. Both times it felt like a snag. I felt the initial stoppage of the lure and just a heavy, ever-increasing weight on the line just like it feels when you snag a root or a rock and you keep reeling. Only this time the snag started thrashing on the water top. At that point I obviously tried to set the hook but it was of no use; the fish got off. It happened again a few minutes later. I was pissed!! That first fish was HEAVY!!

How can you tell the difference? Obviously if you are in the daylight, you might be able to see the line move to know it’s not a snag. What else? If I “set the hook” on every snag I encountered, I…for sure…would have had a couple of lures stuck in my head by now. Also, what causes a fish…especially such a big fish…to strike so “gently?”

I’m pretty new to fishing, so this was a first for me.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:34 AM
NEK
Fork Horn

It sounds like the way a Northern Pike will strike at times. They swim up behind the lure - inhale it - and just keep on swimming in the same direction the lure was moving. You only feel a little bump if anything at all. I hooked and lost the biggest Pike I ever had on, exactly like that. I had been casting a small Rebel Crawfish plug for Smallmouth Bass and flipped it parralell to some rip-rap at a ferry dock while waiting for the ferry. Had the drag cranked down tight - because I only back reel for Smallies, and when I felt the light bump and then the line actually went slack, I started reeling fast to catch up - and this Monster Pike rolled on the surface right in front of me - dove and before I could loosen the drag the 6 lb. test line broke. I just stood there shaking. I have caught a lot of Northern Pike in my life - between 15 and 20 lbs. and this one was a lot bigger than the 20's I have caught when I lived in Alaska.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Dominant Buck

"How can you tell the difference?"

Yes sir..I'm an inline spinner fisherman myself..any resistance I set the hook solid..WHY? because the hooks are very small .I use my inline spinners{ Rooster tail to be exact} primarioy for bass..

Last year , someone made the comment that Rooster tails were too small and they wouldn't have any in their tackle box..actually a few have posted that remark on here. I'll tell you what ..look in the may 2011 edition of BASS MASTER on page 78 and note the lure that caught the 15 pound 8 ounce largemouth bass was caught on..It was an Orange Tiger Rooster tail. LOL i've lost count of the 5 pound and better i've taken on these gems..I use the White 3/8th ounce version..but like i said earlier..any resistance you need to double the rod up and drive those little hooks in or they will throw them everytime.

I learned that back in 1981..I was brand new to FL..came here to go to Bible college..I cast my 1/4 ounce Rooster in an isolated pit with a 6 1/2 foot McGill fiberglass rod and I thought I'd run into a telephone pole. My lure swam quickly to the top and my eyes widened big as a bass about 28 inches busted through the top.It was huge..a few days later a nice shiner fisherman I beleive caught that fish.it was a 12 1/2 pounder..He photoed it and he released it..

I was slowly fishing it off the bottom as I normally do for bass when the telephone pole hit. this has happened more than once..Another time..it was late...1;00 PM and I stopped by and talked to a black lady who was cane fishing for brim..We were deep into conversation..I was haphazardly tossing out my Rooster..when WHAM!!! pulled me totally around my foot going into the lake..and SNAP!

Another time..I was fishing at John Lake during the spawn..i chucked my Rooster into a couple of pools and boated a 5 and a 6 pounder..Then I made a lonng cast..rod is bent over and she's leaping like a tarpon..long solid fish..I'm praying and playing her to the boat..Then I made a STUPID mistake..will never do it again..the fish was worn out..and on her side..gills pumping bery slowly after a 2 minute fight ...so I } -; tightened up the drag...and lo and behold she straightened out for one more tiring run..she saw the net..and acted like a semi in first gear..my rod slowly started bending more and more and the 10 pound trilene went limpppp.........

many more stories for another day..
Summary,
I always have room for Rooster tails in my tackle bag.

Last edited by Chuck7; 04-26-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Set the hook, I don't go fishing to cast...
Old 04-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

NEK - that would be cool if it was a Northern Pike, but I'm not sure we have them in the reservoir I was fishing. How are they to eat? I like to catch and release...into my cooler! But I throw the big fish back because they don't tend to taste very good in my experience. Bass are quite tasty at 1.5lbs and under, though....

Chuck - I guess that's a good tip. But even though the hooks are small, they can absolutely snag on anything...and do. But I suppose that setting the hook on a rock, branch or algae won't hurt...so long as the lure doesn't come flying out of the water and hook me or a bystander in the face! It was just strange though…I’ve never felt a bite that didn’t feel like a bite. They was almost no “impact.”

I just started fishing last season, and I caught my first fish on a small Rooster Tail and have caught more fish on Rooster Tails or Mepp's spinners (very similar to Rooster Tails) than anything else...by far! I caught my biggest bass on a Mepp's! I enjoy using these types of lures because it's hard for me to do nothing (or very little...i.e. working senko worms) when fishing. I like to keep my hands busy!

Never caught a fish on any of my various Rapala lures either. Or a buzzbait. Or pretty much anything not a Senko worm or some version of a spinnerbait. I have no idea what I’m doing.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir..I stay stocked in Rooster Tails...I lost a hawg on one last year..I tried changing hooks but they are tied in such a way that it's impossible..all you can do is add a small ring , cut the old treble hook off and add a fresh one.I did that last year and added a red treble hook .I caught more fish..but it's a pain and the new hooks set back about 1/4 inch past the white hackle..I don't like that.

there are some problems with Rooster tails..
a. the hackle discolors quickly and will rot.
b. the entire lure turns so withiin about 3 hours you will have huge kinks in your line..

Because of the kinks..I use the lure sparingly..I keep one rod loaded for schooling fish or if I'm searching for fish. for hybred striped bass or white bass the rooster is 2nd to none. I could use a small snap swivel to keep the kinks out by i like using less hardware on my line as possible.

I like Mepps as well..I like the Black Fury and Mepps Comet
Another awesome spinner is the Panther Martin.

Mr. 7.62 ..what kind of fish are you fishing for? I use to live in VA and fish. i caught some huge bluegills , nice bass up to 16 inches and fat chain pickeral. I fished at an old army base Fort AP Hill and some ponds around the D.C. area..I also fished the Potomic River around the capitol. I had permission to fish a farm pond nearby with some of the biggest bluegills I've ever seen. If your fishing for bass let me know.

Last edited by Chuck7; 04-26-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck - Instead of using a snap swivel (where you would presumably snap the lure directly to the swivel, which would alter the presentation of the lure), perhaps you could have a small barrel swivel on your line (SPROs are awesome) and attach a leader to that. That way the lure presentation is unaltered, you don’t get kinks in your line and you could use a fluorocarbon leader to boot.

I am in Central Virginia…Chesterfield County to be exact. I’m blessed to live very close to the Swift Creek Reservoir (fairly large body of water) and can get there within 5 minutes. However, there is not a lot of structure on that reservoir, so it is difficult to fish, and even more so without a boat (which I do not have). There are many spots with overhanging branches I think would be good spots to fish, but I can’t get to them from the shore, and you are not allowed to swim or wade in the reservoir. So I just make it up as I go in the areas where I can access the water.

What do I fish for? Anything that can be eaten. Catfish, bass under 1.5 lbs, bluegills, crappie…any of the sunfish, really. I have little interest in catch and release fishing since the primary reason I picked fishing up last season (and hunting 2 years ago) was to learn how to provide meat for my family should times become as hard as I think they will. I had no idea how much I would fall in love with hunting and fishing (I am OBSESSED). If I catch a huge fish, that is super exciting, but not why I do it. And I learned after eating a 19” bass that they do not taste very good. Plus, since they are likely the breeding stock, it’s probably better to throw the huge ones back.

Anyway, I do what I can from the couple of docks and piers I have access to. Last summer I was able to provide a fish meal at least once per week for my family. But I consider myself a very poor angler since I can’t seem to catch fish on anything other than a Rooster Tail, Beetlespin or similar (and catfish or pesky huge eels on bottom-rigged nightcrawlers or stinkbait).
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Chuck - Instead of using a snap swivel (where you would presumably snap the lure directly to the swivel, which would alter the presentation of the lure), perhaps you could have a small barrel swivel on your line (SPROs are awesome) and attach a leader to that. ..Come to think of it I did buy a big pack of the tiniest barrell swivels that they make..I didn't like the way it cast..How far is your spinner form the barrell swivel?

That way the lure presentation is unaltered, you don’t get kinks in your line and you could use a fluorocarbon leader to boot.

I am in Central Virginia…Chesterfield County to be exact. I’m blessed to live very close to the Swift Creek Reservoir (fairly large body of water) and can get there within 5 minutes. However, there is not a lot of structure on that reservoir, so it is difficult to fish, and even more so without a boat (which I do not have). There are many spots with overhanging branches I think would be good spots to fish, but I can’t get to them from the shore, and you are not allowed to swim or wade in the reservoir.BUMMER!! you need to think about a boat..mine cost a 100.00 used back in 1990..I still have it and use it weekly...now the boat came with nothing..I have added quite a bit LOL 4 HP motor..55 lb minnkota..2 batteries and seats.BUT when I first started out..I just had an oar and a home made anchor..and caught plently of fish.So I just make it up as I go in the areas where I can access the water.

What do I fish for? Anything that can be eaten. Catfish, bass under 1.5 lbs, bluegills, crappie…any of the sunfish, really. I have little interest in catch and release fishing since the primary reason I picked fishing up last season (and hunting 2 years ago) was to learn how to provide meat for my family should times become as hard as I think they will.
hey ..that's ok.WHen I was in Bible college we were poor and ate all our bass...I was just going ot tell ya { If you didn't already know} that by using a rubber worm 6-7 inches..your average bass will be bigger. I never caught one bass in VA on a rubber worm.since I moved here..I've caught 100s. My wife and I use to catch dinner all the time off the shore.We would walk around the lake opposite of each other..cast long..and bump the worm back..when you get a hit..drop the rod down to the 7 :00 positin and when the line is straight and you feel resistance..set the hook.We'd catch a few every night and they were good sized.

I had no idea how much I would fall in love with hunting and fishing (I am OBSESSED). If I catch a huge fish, that is super exciting, but not why I do it. And I learned after eating a 19” bass that they do not taste very good. Plus, since they are likely the breeding stock, it’s probably better to throw the huge ones back.
..I normally soak bass in salt water for a few hours..the water will be cloudy ..keep draining until the water is crystal clear..I'm pretty much a catch a release on bass but I have kept my fair share..I do keep the crappie and bluegill though and an occasional channel cat.

Anyway, I do what I can from the couple of docks and piers I have access to. Last summer I was able to provide a fish meal at least once per week for my family. But I consider myself a very poor angler since I can’t seem to catch fish on anything other than a Rooster Tail, Beetlespin or similar (and catfish or pesky huge eels on bottom-rigged nightcrawlers or stinkbait).
hey ..it takes skill to catch them on a Rooster tail..most do not fish that lure correctly and give up on it.
A.. you have to know where to fish it
B. Get the blade turning{ Can be difficult with a low ratio reel}
C. and keeping the fish on is challenging because of the small hooks...at least it is in Fl when you get one over 3 pounds.

here are my favorite all time lures for putting bass on the table

1. A black worm { Ribbon tail} 6-7 inches long with split shot Texas Rigged or 1/8th ounce bullet sinker

2. White Rooster Tail.. 3/8th ounce

3. Various types of Rapalas

and here's my favorite lures when seeking for a wall hanger

1. Little Bitsy jig Green Pumpkin with trailor

2. Rubber Worm black 7-10 inches

3. Horny Toad ..Bullfrog color

4. terminator Spinner bait

5. various types of Rapalas
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Chuck - Instead of using a snap swivel (where you would presumably snap the lure directly to the swivel, which would alter the presentation of the lure), perhaps you could have a small barrel swivel on your line (SPROs are awesome) and attach a leader to that. ..Come to think of it I did buy a big pack of the tiniest barrell swivels that they make..I didn't like the way it cast..How far is your spinner form the barrell swivel?

That way the lure presentation is unaltered, you don’t get kinks in your line and you could use a fluorocarbon leader to boot.

I am in Central Virginia…Chesterfield County to be exact. I’m blessed to live very close to the Swift Creek Reservoir (fairly large body of water) and can get there within 5 minutes. However, there is not a lot of structure on that reservoir, so it is difficult to fish, and even more so without a boat (which I do not have). There are many spots with overhanging branches I think would be good spots to fish, but I can’t get to them from the shore, and you are not allowed to swim or wade in the reservoir.BUMMER!! you need to think about a boat..mine cost a 100.00 used back in 1990..I still have it and use it weekly...now the boat came with nothing..I have added quite a bit LOL 4 HP motor..55 lb minnkota..2 batteries and seats.BUT when I first started out..I just had an oar and a home made anchor..and caught plently of fish.So I just make it up as I go in the areas where I can access the water.

What do I fish for? Anything that can be eaten. Catfish, bass under 1.5 lbs, bluegills, crappie…any of the sunfish, really. I have little interest in catch and release fishing since the primary reason I picked fishing up last season (and hunting 2 years ago) was to learn how to provide meat for my family should times become as hard as I think they will.
hey ..that's ok.WHen I was in Bible college we were poor and ate all our bass...I was just going ot tell ya { If you didn't already know} that by using a rubber worm 6-7 inches..your average bass will be bigger. I never caught one bass in VA on a rubber worm.since I moved here..I've caught 100s. My wife and I use to catch dinner all the time off the shore.We would walk around the lake opposite of each other..cast long..and bump the worm back..when you get a hit..drop the rod down to the 7 :00 positin and when the line is straight and you feel resistance..set the hook.We'd catch a few every night and they were good sized.

I had no idea how much I would fall in love with hunting and fishing (I am OBSESSED). If I catch a huge fish, that is super exciting, but not why I do it. And I learned after eating a 19” bass that they do not taste very good. Plus, since they are likely the breeding stock, it’s probably better to throw the huge ones back.
..I normally soak bass in salt water for a few hours..the water will be cloudy ..keep draining until the water is crystal clear..I'm pretty much a catch a release on bass but I have kept my fair share..I do keep the crappie and bluegill though and an occasional channel cat.

hey ..it takes skill to catch them on a Rooster tail..most do not fish that lure correctly and give up on it.
A.. you have to know where to fish it
B. Get the blade turning{ Can be difficult with a low ratio reel}
C. and keeping the fish on is challenging because of the small hooks...at least it is in Fl when you get one over 3 pounds.

here are my favorite all time lures for putting bass on the table

1. A black worm { Ribbon tail} 6-7 inches long with split shot Texas Rigged or 1/8th ounce bullet sinker

2. White Rooster Tail.. 3/8th ounce

3. Various types of Rapalas

and here's my favorite lures when seeking for a wall hanger

1. Little Bitsy jig Green Pumpkin with trailor

2. Rubber Worm black 7-10 inches

3. Horny Toad ..Bullfrog color

4. terminator Spinner bait

5. various types of Rapalas
Old 05-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I having this issue as well.I generally fish for larger fish such as northerns and catfish which hit pretty aggressively and have larger mouths to get the lure/bait into.

This year Ive started doing a lot of walleye fishing and its been very aggrevating for me.The small ones will hit the lure like a truck right now, theres no doubt you have one on.The larger ones seem to hit more delicatley.Last weekend I was in a fishing tourny for walleyes and right at dark had a hit, except I thought it was a snag, instead of setting the hook I pulled back slowly to get my lure out of what I thought were rocks.About a 5 lb walleye was on the end of the line, he actually stayed on till I got him to the dock where he threw the hook, had I made a good hook set I would have taken 1st place.

later that night on the other side of the lake a much larger fish, probably a northern or catfish sucked in the plastic worm I was using and kept swimming.Again I thought it was a snag and again I had the fish on for just a few seconds before he threw the hook.

The next night I switched gear completely, went with smaller line, smaller rod, and a different reel which was much more sensitive to every bump in the water.I reevaluated my lure set up and redid my stinger hooks i was using keeping the line tighter on them and hooking them differently.Unfortunately the fish kinda shut off but the ones I did catch i knew without a doubt they were a fish and not rock or log.Without the slack in my sting hook line my hook set was much more effective and I landed the ones I did get to bite.

I lost the tournament but in three days I figured out a lot about getting less agressive fish to stay on my line as opposed to missing half of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.