Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

The snag that’s actually a BITE

Old 05-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Spike

The biggest walleye I ever caught felt exactly like you mentioned. I told my old man after we landed it that it felt like driving into a brick wall. He didn't hit it, it just stopped. Fortunately I knew there was nothing to snag on, as we were fishing in the middle of Lake Erie, and set the hook. Glad I did.

I'll try to dig up some pics, but it's been 10 or more years since then. That said, I still, to this day, remember exactly how it felt when that big boy took the bait.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:53 AM
NEK
Fork Horn

You fellers who are having trouble with line twist when using in-line spinner baits like Mepps and Rooster tails - try an old lure called the Shyster that is now made by Luhr-Jensen and you can buy them on line. Back when this lure first came out - I think it was in the late 1950's or early 60's we discovered that it has a different - offset line tie that will not let your line twist. It is also great for fishing where there is little or no current, as the blade spins real easy. We used them for Smallmouth Bass and Crappies in the rivers and creeks in southern Michigan and had real good luck with them - especially the white model with black dots. It was deadly. and it can be fished real slow.
I also have used real small- black- ball bearing snap swivels with the Mepps spinners and it never seemed to make a difference to the fish. I have never used Rooster tails for some reason - probably because I never needed to. Always caught plenty of fish on the Mepps and Shyters.
Tight lines and bouncing bobbers