Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

fly fishing help

Old 07-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: fly fishing help

Patti,
Obviously Bluegills and Smallmouth Bass are 2 different sized, and strength fish..........what will be overkill for Bluegills should be OK for Bass, and what might really make the Bluegills feel fun would most likey be too light for a good sized Smallmouth Bass.
So what we need to do is find a rig that will make both FUN while being appropriate for the intended flies and conditions for both fish........

A good all-around #5 weight rod will be just about right for both as long as you don' t tangle with BIG bass on BIG water in BIG wind conditions.

If I knew your budget I could recommend a starting place to look for rods and reels.....and line. Or a complete package.

FLyfishing for these species is not too complicated so you can get away with some bare necessities at first........You will also need:

TAPERED LEADERS: (3X or 4X should be fine for average bass, 2X on occaision if you encounter bigger fish or need to throw bigger flies) 7.5 to 9ft leaders are fine.

SPLIT SHOT: For some of the flies a couple shot added to the line will help get them down to the fish

FLIES:It helps to have flies if you are flyfishing. Some patterns you will want for Bass.........Wooly Buggers (Black,Olive, Brown colors in sizes #4 or #6) and also some smaller ones in sizes #10-12 for Bluegills
Popping Bugs will work for both , and Attractor Dry Flies will work for Bluegills
If you really want to get serious about the bass look into picking up a few Clouser Minnows and Clouser Crayfish.
With the Wooly Buggers and Clouser Minnows, just cast it out let it sink and bring it back in in strips of varying speed.........that' s a good and brainless way to start catching some fish. If you think the fish are down deep that' s where the split shot come in.
The Dry Flies and Popping bugs are meant for surface fishing and twitching them on a very slow retrieve should send the Bluegills nuts!

BOOKS: There are a BUNCH of good beginner level flyfishing books on the market, get to Borders Books and pick one up. Oh yeah.........read it.You are gonna need to know a lot of stuff in it.....like KNOTS for instance. A good all around flyfishing book that teaches casting,knots etc, plus a book that targets warmwater fish like Bluegills and bass is another good idea.

NET: ? you might want one........nice Smallmouth Bass can be a handful, so if you actually want to land a nice one a net is a good investment. Get a " Catch and Release" style mesh net.........nylon is HELL on fish that you intend to throw back.

TIPPET MATERIAL: After a few fly changes you will notice that your leader is becoming shorter and shorter........You will need replacement material to attch to your original leader to get it back to it' s original length. How do you do this?........KNOTS. Read that book. Blood Knot, Improved Clinch Knot, Double Surgeon' s Knot etc are all important everyday knots that if you do not know will increase the misery factor for beginners.

TOOLS: Nippersto clip the tag ends of knots, and the big fat bird' s nest you will turn your leader into sooner or later)
Hemostats: (To remove the unlucky fish from your hooks or to pinch your barbs down)
Polarized Sunglasses: (You' ll never know how much you were missing under the water' s surface until you use a pair of these.......plus they will save strain on your eyes)

Beyond that we can get pretty complicated and expensive, but this will get you catching fish.........as far as EATING the fish? You' ll definitely want to call your local Fishing and Boating Commission (whatever you guys call them out there) and ask about the safety of eating those specific fish. They may be OK but there might be a consumption limit. I do know that you don' t want to fillet up a bunch of nuclear powered fish.

Old 07-28-2003, 04:54 PM

Matt,
Wow, thanks for the book!! I sure didn' t expect such a great response!! I will get a good book or two from Borders , (and read it )
I printed out your response, may even laminate it, and take it with me for quick reference on the water, lol.
I am looking forward to some great fishing, and quiet time on the water!
I really appreciate your great advice.
Patti........... sunset
Old 07-28-2003, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sunset..I have quite a few years of flyfishing for bluegills and bass. I personally use a 9' 5 weight rod, with a wf-f line. I use a 5x leader when fishing dries, nymphs, and terrestrials. For streamers, I go with a 3x. My fly selection is generally fairly small for Farm ponds. here are some of the patters that I use.

Bluegills
Hares ear nymph. sizes 10 - 16
Small popping bugs.
Small floating foam spiders and ants.
A small grasshopper pattern
A small cricket pattern.
A few generic dry flies- including Adams, size 12 - 14, Goddard caddis size 12
(can you say unsinkable?)
A few size 10 - 12 wooly bugger patters.
And if im getting short strikes, I switch to a 10 - 12 wooly worm pattern.
And lastly a San Jaun worm.

Bass
All of the above flies will take smaller bass and the occasionally nice bass.
Deer hair mouse (size 6)
Deer hair poppers
Popping bugs.
Crayfish patterns if you' re fishing for smallies.
A generic minnow imitation.
size 6 - 10 White,brown,black,olive wooly buggers (VERSITLE PATTERN!)
and a few muddler minnows.

Hope this helps. This should be enough to fill your first flybox
Old 07-28-2003, 10:46 PM

Josh,
Thanks sooooooo much!! I am going to print your post off too. Can I laminate both of these posts, hold a pole, keep my polaroids on[8D], hold a net , catch a fish , and net it all at one time??? LOL. Not sure, but, I am going to give it my very best shot LOL!!
Thank you very very much!! I have a lot to work with now. Can' t wait!!
Patti...........sunset
Old 07-29-2003, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matt Isn' t that little guy at the bottom a Cowboy???/

Thats what I keep asking him too....[>:]

C-Ya this weekend Matt...
Old 07-29-2003, 04:52 PM

yeah it looks like a cow boy[8D]
Old 07-29-2003, 05:54 PM

Isn' t this the cowboy round up, and fly fishing forum?? I thought it was by the look of that little guy
How do ya cast from your horse?? And, does my horse need waders (spelled it right that time Griz )
[8D] Sunset
Old 08-02-2003, 11:35 PM

Hey all,
Ive been wanting to get into fly fishing for quite a while. My question is thie something that would be good for a beginner to learn. Another Question say i want to practice casting out in my back yard how do I do it do i put a junk fly on the line do i practice with a very small wieght? As you can tell im in no mans land of knowing what all to get.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ainCatcat20431
Old 08-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Sunset,
I believe you said ohio is where you' ll be fishing. Here is a listing of what bodies of water have fish advisory for them:
limit meals:
http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dsw/fisha...imitmeals.html
Do NOT eat:
http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dsw/fisha.../donoteat.html
Do NOT SWIM OR WADE:
http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dsw/fisha...donotwade.html

Old 08-08-2003, 03:49 PM

Dear Voodoo,
Thank you so much for answering this for me. I will definetly check these sites out!!
I have been practicing my cast and may even catch a fish one of these days.
Your input is very much appreciated!!
Sunset [8D]

Quick Reply: fly fishing help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.