Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Yesterday was a good day

Old 08-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Yesterday was a good day

My wife worked yesterday, and I didn't have anything to do, so I took the kids to bass pro so they could watch the fish get fed, and to pick up a few ZOOM products that were 25% off, which only means they were discounted down to a few cents cheaper than Academy. However, they have every color imaginable so its worth my time.

We get there and walk around for a bit before watching the fish get fed, and as I am walking down the crank bait isle, i notice some red tags and I take a closer look. A few of the Rapala cranks are dirt cheap!

The Rapala DTTSS (DT Thug with Sure Set Hooks) which is normally around 9-10 bux depending on where you purchase it, was on sale for 5.77. In the cart it went.

The Rapala DTFATSS01 (DT Fat with Sure Set hooks) witch is also 9-10 bux, was on sale for 4.xx in select colors. One of those colors just happens to work great for me so I lucked out there. This crank knocks them dead when the bass are schooling and hitting shad on top.

I also picked up some ZOOM Ultra Vibe Speed Craws that have claws with the same action as the Horny Toad legs. These are great when the bass are looking for a jig like presentation, but with a lot more action. A steady hop and drop retrieve works good, as well as a carolina rig where the craw comes just across the top of the grass.

The kids had a blast watching the bass, catfish, gar, crappie, and small mouths tear into the bluegill that were thrown into the tank. I believe Leah, my little 1.5 year old daughter, was more excited watching the fish than I or my son. Her little feet were dancing while watching the fish go all over the place in the tank. After that, everytime we saw something that resembled a fish, she would hollar out "Ish-Ish-Ish". It was very cute. We left there and went swimming for the rest of the evening and ate pizza while "vegging" out.

After a few tiring weeks with not many positive moments, it was wonderful to have had a great day with the kids, while also being able to pick up some great lures relatively cheap. I wish every day could be like yesterday, haha.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Happy for ya partner..do you ever use rubber lizards..?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never have. Not that I am opposed to them, I have just used worms most of the time. I picked up a pack of ZOOM lizards a while back and am planning on giving them a shot in the early springtime. I have just always read that lizards do best during early spring, pre-spawn, and spawn, so I was going to wait until then to fish with them, but if you have other thoughts lemme know because I really have zero experience with lizard fishing.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

There's this gun shop selling out on hs worms /fishing tackle..all for 50% off.there;not much left.. i don't usaully buy lizards but these heavily scented red shad lizards looked very appealing ..I got ya a pack with some other stuff. I'll check and see if I saved your mailing address..if not.I'll need it one more time..

yep..please send it one more time..including your first and last name..I'll put it in my address book with your email..sorry Aaron

Last edited by Chuck7; 08-23-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd fish the lizard on a big worm hook with a bullet weight ahead of it. Can be killer in weedbeds and hydrilla mat.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

BH14, do you peg the weight or let it slide freely on the line? I have also heard good things about carolina rigging them to float just above the weed tops, just like C-rigging worms.

I have never tried the redshad color on anything Chuck, so I am interested now to see how these lizards do, thanks for going out of your way to do that, I appreciate it a lot Chuck!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Red Shad are very nice..I generlly take 4 colors with me..red Shad is one of those..

1st Black

2. Black with chartruese tail

3nd Christmas Tree./ June Bug

4th Red Shad.

Don't forget Aaron..I need you to PM me your address..What happenns is I clean out my PM box..and there she goes.LOL I'm not crazy about Zoom lizards..these lizards look very much alive and are gleaming with scent. { -;

Last edited by Chuck7; 08-24-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

They use lizzards alot up this way with the pumkin seed color being the first choice and then purple. I am not sure why purple but it does work.

I am glad you had a great day Gangly and even manage to pick up a few decent deals while doing it..