Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

New Things You Learned This Year.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default New Things You Learned This Year.

This thread is for sharing new information that you have learned..

1. This year has crystalized the fact for me that fisihng 3-4 days before the full and new moon is no doubt the best times to fish..The best time to try out those lures you don't usually fish but are in your tackle bag/box.

2. Something else..and this is weird but has been consistant. one of those days..generally the 3rd day from the full moon I catch very good fish..they are all about 2 pounds plus..the following day I seem to get 1 1/2 pounders and smaller.This has happened all summer.

3. HUGE LESSON..braid is nearly unbreakable EXCEPT { IMHO} on the hook set. then, I've had it snap like thread. and I don't cross thier eyes..siad all that..I now have my drag set much less. I barely touched a 4/0 hook this year and it buried in my finger costing me 1100 dollars to get removed..so I know it doesn't take a lot to set the hook..so my drag is much less...and I've had no more line breaks.

4. Setting the hook..this year I visualized each fish to be 20 inches and 5 pounds. I don't over set but I do imagine driving the hook through the tough jaws of a quality fish..my worm hook sets have been the best I've evern had at about 90%. ..this happened after I lost 2 nice fish in Feb. I don't beleive I had anymore throw the hook since I made the mental adjustment.and yes.,..NOW on my hook sets the drag is activated..before it wasn't and I had many line breaks..

5. Learned from my depth finder..ALL structure is holding fish...if there is a flat area with one small clump of weeds..there will be fish in those weeds.

6. Rod length is not that important..you will mentally adjust to any lenghth ..I have them in the boat form 6' to 7' I 've been setting the hook well with them all ...I just keep imagining that they are 5 pound bass and set the hook accordingly..

7. Oh yeah..[ -; nearly forgot..Can't afford shiners? Bluegills work just as good if not better..Bluegill sstay alive MUCH longer and swim toward the bottom and not the top..Hook them in front of the dorsel fin..They do work [-; remember the recent world record was tied in Japan on a ..bluegill..I tried them once this year..I should of had bigger bobbers..it stayed down alot..I was at spot #1 I threw out the bobber /bluegill and put that rod down..and then began bumping a worm with my other rod...I caught a couple..I then noticed my bobber had been out of site..I reeled in the slack..OH NO!! fish on..and reeled in a nice 3 pounder..so they do work.

8. I learned how a downrigger works..[ -;

9. I learned in a jon boat it's best to keep both seats the same elevation..or the boat gets tipsy. I lowered my back seat for that one big guy I took out.well yesterday Matt and I had amuch unsteadier boat..I plan to put it back the way it was.

Last edited by Chuck7; 08-22-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7

6. Rod length is not that important..you will mentally adjust to any lenghth ..I have them in the boat form 6' to 7' I 've been setting the hook well with them all ...
I'm really surprised to hear you say this...

The main thing I have learned this year is that the power of knowledge and good equipment is irreplacable. I always thought that mediocre equipment can suffice, and it can. But when you get equipment (most of which I don't have), you can really get on fish.
Examples is such like trying to use a 6'6'' medium action rod as a topwater rod in thick cover. You can't get a good enough hookset, keep the rod tip up, and retrieve a fish in most circumstances.
Another example is just simply knowing information. Knowing someone who fished a lake previous to me fishing it, or retrieving a lakes topo map so I have a mental picture of where fish hold, its put you ahead of the rest.
Also, prefishing for a tournament is a must.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm really surprised to hear you say this...
So am I LOL ..back a couple months ago if Gangly invited me to fish with him..I'd want to know about the rod lenghths..not anymore .I can make due and it will not effect my hooking up with fish..I would prefer to fish a Horny Toad with a 7' MH but I can make due with a 6 ' ....This is not the case with reels..and I did only mention the rods..{ -; Reel ratio is very important to me...and I do like skinny rods..I hate fat rods and heavy reels..
The main thing I have learned this year is that the power of knowledge and good equipment is irreplacable. I always thought that mediocre equipment can suffice, and it can. But when you get equipment (most of which I don't have), you can really get on fish.

well..yes and no..I've handled alot of different rods and I think for the price..you can not beat the Lightning Rod..40.00 now..I still have my old 6' Lightning Rod rods ..back in the day they were all 6 '.19.95which I'm sure I'll touch on it as I continue to read your post. { Also, thanks for the reply[ -;} I've handled Gloomis ,Carrot Stixz, St.Croix.etc..they are nice and I think made in USA and name brand is also part of that price..I'll stick with Lightning Rods and catch a ton of fish.

Examples is such like trying to use a 6'6'' medium action rod as a topwater rod in thick cover. You can't get a good enough hookset, keep the rod tip up, and retrieve a fish in most circumstances.

and yes Buck..my favorite rod is also a 6' 6" MH rod..However the other day I was forced to fish a couple old 6' Lightning rods { 27 years old..still same eyelets} because I had a guest and wanted to bring plenty of rods where I wasn't continually changing lures..My body and mind adjusted to the 6' and I set the hook on them all. I can't explain it but my forearms , chest and mentality automatically adjusted..just like it does when I set the worm with a 7' MH or 7' Medium..I can feel it..I do agree ..my rathers would be a MH 6' 6" but if someone is on a tight buget..I can easily adjust to the 6 footer..also the reels..my best casters are not my 100.00 plus..they are my 49.95 reels.

Another example is just simply knowing information. Knowing someone who fished a lake previous to me fishing it, or retrieving a lakes topo map so I have a mental picture of where fish hold, its put you ahead of the rest.
Also, prefishing for a tournament is a must. Amen ..I agree to this wholeheartedly..when ever I fish a new spot.Goggle Earth is my first stop..then I check out the lake,Topo maps are great is one is available and depth finders are a must on a new lake.

Two months ago my thoughts were as yours Buck..I had 2 old Lightning Rods with no reels in the closet.I couldn't give them to Matt after selling him on the 7' philosophy. Lately , I've changed my mind..six footers can catch any fish and be used with any lure..They are practically unbreakable and have solid control..All my rods have thier place.. Some fish Horny Toad the best, Rooster Tail the best, Spinnerbaits , Crankbaits etc. I have a rod for every lure situation. ..and now my 2 old 6 ' rods are back in the line-up.

Last edited by Chuck7; 08-22-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I learned a few things this year:

1. 10" worms are nothing to be afraid of, they can hook up with some seriously large bass.

2. Chatterbaits are crazy fun during pre-spawn, spawn, and post-spawn

3. I learned how to fish a jig, and more importantly, learned that jigs arent only meant to be hopped or dragged.

4. experianced friends that are fisherman are far more valuable to progress than any magazine or article.

5. Chuck is a good friend and has an open invitation to fish any time. We can discuss fishing rods at that time, haha.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Dominant Buck

That was very nice of ya Gangly..and you know the feelings are mutual...We have one more weekend..Matt and I are tryi8ng out a brand new lake next Sat. if all works out. It feeds into one of Florida's famous lakes..Lake Kissemmee. It's Lake Jackson..

Last edited by Chuck7; 08-23-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive learned that fishing 7 days (yes, 7) this year, will result in significantly less fish caught than in previous years.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Dominant Buck

{ -; I think Matt has fished about 5 days all year and boated 1 bass..
Horny Toad

Aaron fished about 3 days before getting locked up..and heboated about 3 bass
Spinnerbait
Old 08-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I learned my camera wouldn't allow me to give it anymore baths...
Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

yep..on I'm on my 3rd cell phone..slipping in the lake at the boat ramp..is not good for them either.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Learned also to be flexable..

Horny Toads were a strike out so far this year.I'll still try them where it's appropriate.

Shiners overall...waste of money..fish were down deep in the weeds where a rubber worm was the best choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.