Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Best Line For Catfish

Old 07-03-2003, 12:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best Line For Catfish

Heres the scenario. 3 lb average fish. several 5' s ocassional 10. Fishing below a dam with tons of rip rap. These fish are breaking 30 lbs Remington power LOkT line. I need a line thats abraision resistant, strong, and reasonably thin in diameter. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best Line For Catfish

berkley iron silk.....you know how you pull your line in after sitting htere after say 30 mins and its all tore up from the rocks ect ect?? i never get that with iron silk....i fish rivers ALOT...alot like the one your fishing....cheap line just wasnt cutting it...i bought some iron silk in 8lb test last year and its STILL bringing them in this year...this year i brought up a channel that would went 10-15lbs while walleye fishing...the depthfinder said 24ft...my line was probally 20 behind the boat....talk about a way to bring a fish up...i thought about cutting the line so i didnt break my reel....but got it up after about 5 mins....i love that line....and thats not even on my catfish rods yet...well i do use one of my 2 8ln rods for cats but not the big ones....always seems the big ones hit on that rod though!...but really the name says it all....smooth as silk tough as iron...and the nice thing is its not too expensive..not to bad at all price wise....and it actually seems to be thin and memory was minimal...i never fished super lines or anything...and really never spent over 2 bux for line until a few years ago when i learned it does matter so ive only fished a few decint lines...but it was on my reels tight all fall and winter..i went out walleye fishing first cast it straightend right out.....i really like it....take a look at it.....
Old 07-04-2003, 08:09 AM

I use original SpiderWire for a similar setup to your' s...below a dam. 8 Lb diameter with 30 Lb strength, very abrasion resistant and almost no memory. It' s a dark line, but in stained water such as below a dam, it hardly matters.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

I' ve had some bad luck with Spider Wire and rocks. It was probably the least abrasion resistant line I' ve ever used. Now I stick to mono. Are you checking your line regularly? Those fish should not be breaking 30 lb. line. If your bouncing alone the rocks on every cast, check the first few feet of line above your hook after every cast. At the very least, check it after every fish. If the line isn' t perfectly smooth, retie it.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

That Iron Silk is one tough sob of a line. I doubt that anything could beat it.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Berkley 20 lb. Xtra Tough (Fire Line?) works well even when they run around brush.