Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Trouble with the crappie

Old 06-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trouble with the crappie

I'm having a little trouble catching crappie out of one of the bodies of water that I fish. On other bodies of water, I have had great success catching them, but in this one small lake, I can't seem to get one to bite. I have seen others pull nice approximately 14 inch crappie out so I know they are in there. The water has 4-5 feet of visibility, some weeds along the edge, but not much. The lake used to be an old sand pit, so there is no real structure for the crappie to congregate around, only changes in elevation. About 5' out from the bank the water goes from 5 feet deep to 20 feet deep in steep drop off. There are 4 flats that I know of and I've pulled quite a few bass from them, but I never seem to catch a crappie out of it. I have used my floating minnows, crappie cranks, marabou jigs, road runners, etc. to no avail. I will be hooking up a rooster tail today and see how that goes, but does anybody have any ideas about what I might could try, or have any suggestions on how to fish for the crappie. The following picture is of the top part of the lake. THe green dots are bass over 3 lbs, the blue dot is the 12 lb drum, the red lines are the boundries of the flats. I bank fish this lake, so I am only able to cast out so far, and I have only fished the upper most parts of this lake. I have never fished other parts and so there is A LOT of places left on this lake that are untouched. Any ideas? Live bait is not an option.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

no sir..I only fish for them in the cold months of the year..why is live bait not an option?

If my life depended on it..I would troll on slow..and drag 2 0r 3 rods with small shad darts on the end..red and white bodies with white tail...or Hal flies { another jig}

If my lure was getting mucky..I'd troll with a bobber trying to keep lure about 12 inches off the bottom.They are already spawned and have most likely gone deep.

It's funny..while casting a Sexy Shad Strike King crankbait I caught a 10 inch Black Crappie last week..I threw him back.

Last edited by Chuck7; 06-30-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I figured they were deep and that I wouldnt really be able to approach them from the bank. I hope maybe I can catch a few stragglers close to the bank in the early or late evening.