Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Finally Settled in from trip!!

Old 06-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Banned

Default Finally Settled in from trip!!

Hey guys im finally settled in from my trip to Lady Evelyn Lake in Ontario canada. We left on June 6th and got back on June 14. Then on the 15th i had a 4-h camp until last night. Anyways, it took 15 hours to drive up from Harrisville WV. Once we got there they took us in at 9:00 am, so we had time to fish in the evening. Sad to say the fishing wasnt that great. We caught a good bit of fish, but NOTING compared to the years before. One walleye was 21 3/4 inches long. that was the biggest of the week. The largest pike we caught was 31 inches long. There is a new slot limit on the lake thats been there for 2 years now. 16 to 22 inch walleye must be returned. That was bad cause alot of our fish were 17-18 inchs long. This lake is one of the biggest ones we have been on. 28 miles long from one end to the other. A set back about this lake is that there are way to many people on it. It was like a city on water. We hit the walleye hard in the evenings. The morning fishing wasnt that great. The people at Ellen Island are GREAT. Its a nice lil outfitter and a great place to stay if your not wanting to spend alot of money. I would recommend this outfitter to anyone. Just make sure you hit the lake during the right time of year if you want to catch fish.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Finally Settled in from trip!!

That' s too bad you didn' t do that well. I know what ya mean about that slot limit but I think that it will really be a big plus in years to come. Bigger fish will be more common. I read on walleye central that there is a guy with a truck and boat trailer that charges $15 to take your boat out of a stream and up a hill to the lake. That must account for the crowd on the lake. That really is a drag. How was the weather? I e-mailed the lodge my Dad and I go to which is about 1 1/2 hrs north of Lady Evelyn and they said it has been really warm. In the 90' s. I suppose the big pike were really deep. check out www.lostlakelodge.com Click on the fishing bar and about half way down is a picture of my Dad with a big pike he caught up there 2 years ago. He' s wearing a N.Y Mets sweatshirt and a red vest. If ya want to try a differant place, I highly recommend them. Great people. 87 more days till we head up!!!
Old 06-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Banned

Default RE: Finally Settled in from trip!!

Yeah i wish we could have done better, but it was still a great trip. Yeah the slot limit is a good thing for people who come back year after year, but we like to visit different lakes each year, so we probably wont be back to that lake for a few years. Yeah thats one reason that the lake was crowded, We payed 400 dollors to sleep on the island and fish for a week while other people spend 60 dollors to fish all week. But we cant do anything to stop that. The weather was good every day but one. It started raining monday night and rained all day tuesday, The waves were so bad that i couldnt hardly hold onto the boat when we came across the big bays. But that night we hit the walleyes hard! that was our best evening. Ya might want to check on that 90 degree weather stuff though. we wore long sleeved shirts and pants all week. Id say it was 65 or so all week. Most of the Pikes we caught were deep, but the biggest one that was caught by our group was caught right off the shore of an island. Thats an Awesome pike your dad has. Our biggest was 31 inches long and i thought it was big. That looks like a nice lodge. Were lookin at a place called Air Ivanhoe Outfitters. It looks like a good place to go and its a fly-in which is what we like. Good luck on your trip. Tell me how it goes.