Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Junk Scale / New Scale

Old 03-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Junk Scale / New Scale

Piece of Junk Scale:

I never even got to use the scale portion of this. The box said Berkely, but the scale itself doesnt have the Berkely name or logo anywhere on it. Im guessing it was simply packaged by somebody and the packaging had the berkely logo slap'd on it. Anyways, I can't for the life of me figure out how the needle broke where it did. I guess thats what you get for a 6 dollar 2-n-1 combo, haha. Anyways, picked up a nicer digital one today, hopefelly it will work out. I see no way to "zero" it but i guess it doesnt need to be. This is what I now have, has anybody had any problems with these?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Gangly ..I use a scale like the one above but it;s made by Rapapa..I had the digital one like you bought..It lasted one fishing trip.I WILL NEVER BY ANOTHER DIGITAL..
Personally I'd run it back to the store and get one like I have posted..Cost 9.99 and on it's 5th year.plus.. I had one like you had..It worked when it felt like it..ehen I had a nice fish to weigh..it decided not to work..TICKED me off royally

Last edited by Chuck7; 03-08-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default done with cheap digitals

yesterday we ended up weighing our only keeper (which we released at the ramp) at the tackle store cause my cheap digital weighed Shirleys fish different every time. thought about one of the "x-tools" scales but they seem a little pricey for what i'd use them for, in a tournament i only need two figure out which fish to cull, accuracy hasn't been a big issue, but it makes me mad to put a 3 pound fish on and one time the scale says 4#3oz and the next 2# and change

so once again i'm in the market for a new scale, probably just go with a spring scale, one that the batteries never go out on
Old 03-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Mt..we sold alot of stuff on ebay where perfect scales were a must..we didn't want to put too many stamps on.LOL this spring scale is right on..I always weigh various things inside of Walmart before I buy the scales..{ -;
PLUS the model has a memory slide on it..after weighing my last fish I wasn't sure if the fish was 3 1/4 or 3 1/2 ..I remembered the memory slide..checked it out..and it was right on at 3 1/2 { -;

Like you said MT..no batteries..which is a plus..
Tight line you all,
C7
Old 03-08-2010, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

thats the good thing about spring scales. their "k" constant never changes and unless you bind them or pull them too much, you will repeatedly get the same measurements of the same fish. You just have to really be careful not to over extend it or bind them too much or you change your "K" constant and therefore get repeatedly similar, but inaccurate, measurements. So basically, you can weight the same fish ten times, and get the same number all ten times, but the weight is wrong because your K for the spring has changed. Rust and other "wear and tear" attributes affect the constant as well. But like mentioned, spring scales dont break, and thats the one thing that cant be beat, ie no batteries required