Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

pan fish rod?

Old 01-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default pan fish rod?

I recently recieved an Abu Garcia Cardinal 501i reel for christmas that I will be using for crappie and perch. I have never used a spinning rod for panfish, so I have no spinning rods for this reel. I use arificial lures that range from 1/32 to 1/4, with most being on the lighter side of that parameter. I would like to stay around 75 dollars or less if possible. What rod is a decent match for that spinning reel considering the type of fishing that I will be using it for? I'll add that I'm pretty rough on rods so a warranty, even a 1 yr warranty, would be nice. Thank you for any and all suggestions.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I'd get Walmart's light Ugly Stick...under 30.00 ...I got one,,I like it alot..
Old 01-08-2010, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the reply Chuck7. However, I was in a gander mountain and bought an ultra-light the other day on an impulse buy.

I wanted to give a spinning rod a good try, instead of just having one as a throw down, so I also picked up a Pflueger President while i was there along with a decent rod. Im hoping to use it for skipping jigs and frogging when i need to get the lure way back in the deep stuff, and not have to worry about backlash on my baitcasters.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Berkley Bionix 4' ultra lite .I love this little rod got a tiny little shimano open face spinner on it .I think I paid about $60 or $70 for it.Had it for 5 or 6 years now just as good as day one.Just for hoots and giggles I put 2# dia. 10# test spider wire line on it.Have a ball with the bream and crappies ,But it is really on when you hang into about a 4 or 5 # bass with it.............LOL
Old 01-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

so I also picked up a Pflueger President while i was there
Gangly,

Was this in a baitcaster??/ if so I have 2..By far my favorite reels..
Old 01-11-2010, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the Pflueger President as a spinning reel. I havent dedicated much time to the spinning combo that i already have, and its purely because its rough, grinds, and whines a lot. I have plenty of places where i can skip a jig or toss a frog way back under things, but I'm not always able to do it correctly with my baitcaster because i can never seem to get the brake set right. So, I figured it was time to invest a little bit into a good combo and I read great reviews about the pfleuger spinning reel. Its very quiet and very smoothe. I'm already liking it alot, which says alot since i swear by my A.G. Ambass.'s. I currently have 15 lb braid on it so we will see how it does
Old 01-16-2010, 01:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm very pleased with my Pflueger Baitcaster...and yes I've bought sone baitcasters as well that appeared to have NO brake..I quixkly rewrapped them and took them back.One was the Revo 150.00 model..WORST real I've handled..backlash in every cast no matter what..I have 2 of his little brothers..the Revo 100.00 models...they are wonderful but already in one year showing some loosing goosey.

I had an 80.00 Pintackle that was my best for casting a mile..I lost it ovr board..} - : I may go on my first 2010 bass fishing trip Monday..The spawn in FLorida can be anytime between now and March.

Last edited by Chuck7; 01-16-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah, we just had a serious cold front come through and a warming trend is going right now, se we might have an early spawn startup right now, but its still a little early. Florida is more tropical so hopefully you all will start seeing a little bass acticity. What lures will you be using to go after these prespawn bass
Old 01-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, I built a room today for one of my sons ..fishing cancelled..The spawn could be anytime now..I fish the lunar table pretty much so I'll be heading out the week before the full moon..

Lures..Flipping and pitching..some casting
Mostly flipping / pitching Fire and Ice..Culpret worm..Casting Horny Toad over shallow grass beds..maybe chuck a Terminator spinner bait as well in the 5-8 foot grass flats..I will also have jig rod handy..for off shore structure..so that is 1.2.3 4 rods..
50 % will be pitching a worm in cat tails ...and 50 % Horny { -:
Old 01-19-2010, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck!