Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Boat Motor Mystery Finally Solved

Old 12-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Boat Motor Mystery Finally Solved

Ok ..most of you know about the trial I've had with my 4 HP Nissan..First the dealer set me up by packing grease and metal shavings in the carb..I called Nissan to no advai..Anyway ..here are the sequence of events..see if one of you mechanics can figure out the problem..GOOD LUCK
[ - :

My boat is to small for the auxillary gas tank so I run my motor on my inline tank..holds about a gallon.

A.After about 9 months motor won't start.

B. Carb was filled with grease..WHile trying to clean up I messed up the float...I bought a new carb.

C. I removed all extra gas hoses and ran a straight line from tank to the carb..in between is the cam driven fuel pump and inline filter
Set up is in shape of an upper case J
tank on top..fuel pump on bottom and the carb at the top of the hook ..

D...still won't run..oh.. it runs for 1 minute and stops..

E. I buy a new fuel pump..

F. Same thing ..runs for a minute and stops } - :

G. THE VENT IS OPEN ON THE TANK

H. FILTER IS NEW AND GOOD

I. Lines are straight no kinks

J.All clamps are tight no vacumn leaks..
GOOD LUCK...

Hint...it is nothing electrtical or thermostastically ..new spark plug as well..magneto is fine..gas is fresh..
It's running now..and not shutting off..what was wrong with it.?.I'll give you all one week..LOL
Chuck7

TOOK 60 seconds to fix } -:

Last edited by Chuck7; 12-13-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Here's the motor..

Last edited by Chuck7; 12-14-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:20 AM
Dominant Buck

NO Takers..LOL

Don't feel bad..I haad it listed on Craigslist and I had 3 calls..but after I mentioned all of the above they gave up too...

OK ..here's what it was..When I took off the excess gas line there was a small filter like thing in the line..I went to my parts list yesterday to see what that is called.It's called a non return valve ..to keep the gas from siphoninbg back to the tank..
I put that on..and she ran and ran and ran..
Happy Camper,
Thankyou Lord Jesus
Old 12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

glad tpo see you got it worked out Chuck, those little things can be mind benders until they get figured out.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ps, might want to white out your license plate if you get a chance
Old 12-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Gangly..
Yes..and it's funny..I had the hose and the no return valve in the top of my tool box for about 5 months now.The valve looks like a minature fuel filter..I was wondering why it had 2 fuel filters LOL
So I got on the phone with my 5 star mechanic dad who lives 1299 miles away..He siad "Get out your parts book and find out what the part is.?" Bingo..NON RETURN FUEL VALVE sure enough you could blow threw it one way and less the other way. I put it about 4 inches above the fuel pump..started that puppy up..went into the house a while and she was still running when I came out..I'm ready for bass spawning season. { -:
Old 12-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll give you all one week..LOL
Chuck7
how many days are there in a "Florida week"

BTW, i'd check the
It's called a non return valve ..to keep the gas from siphoninbg back to the tank..
thingamajig..
your welcome:happy01 57:
Old 12-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Good grief Keith,
I'm on a forum on A1 outboards...just started...and I had no idea the main leaders of Nissan are the moderators..They want the name of this guy's dealership and who he is..Yikes..I didn't tell them..I told them it's over..I guess they didn't like me broadcasting how I got ripped on the internet..at a Nissan dealership..

I really don't want to be involved in a lawsuit so told them it was over..They said putting metal shavings in a gas tank is very serious ..I told them it was over..

I got the shavings out of a the valve ****.. a valve that lets you choose between the inline tank and the portble tank.They were brass shavings. The carb was also filled with some gunk..about 2 tablespoons..I ran my motor every month so the gas did not have time to set up and varnish even..Anyways..I know that motor real good now..LOL just about every part.

Last edited by Chuck7; 12-16-2009 at 01:47 PM.