Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

whuppin stick rods from cabelas

Old 06-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default whuppin stick rods from cabelas

Does anyone have a whuppin stick rod from cabelas. I was wanting to know because I was going to get one in heavy action for flipping and pitching in heavy cover , and I thought ya'll might tell me if there any good or not .
Old 06-12-2009, 04:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: whuppin stick rods from cabelas

never used one or even heard of them, but i will tell you this, i would not waste a bunch of money on a flipping stick, get the longest, and stiffest you can for the $, your only talking about a few feet of line and in tight quarters, for pitchin i like around 7'6" rod, i like a pitching rod to have a soft tip but a lot of backbone, to get the fish headed in the right direction quick, the soft tip helps with the pitch, everything else is about getting her out of the cover and into the boat

as far as flipping ever heard of "jiggerpoling" there is a reason every major tournament trail limits rod lenght, but not a lot of folks think about it, there is someting about taking a 10-12' rod with 2' of 50# test line and a spook tied on the end, and shaking it underneath overhanging brush and buckbrush[8D][:-][:-][:-]for strickly flippin give me whatevers legal, lenght wise 8 ft+ broom pole would be my suggestion[:-], pitchin, i like a little nicer rod
Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

what do you mean by a broom pole . And have you ever tried jiggerpoling at Weiss Lake because I can't find no brush where I am fishing.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know what yer talkin bout MT, watched an old man in a creek boat put over 6 fish in the 5 lb range in the boat in just a few minutes, I have only caught a handful out of that river over 5 lbs in 12 years.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fishinty

what do you mean by a broom pole . And have you ever tried jiggerpoling at Weiss Lake because I can't find no brush where I am fishing.
broom pole and a well rope is an ole timers talking about a super stiff rod with big heavy line, flippin, is the one time you can just about throw all the other concerns out the window, you looking for a reaction bite, and putting a bait in the fishes face, not giving him a chance to notice its tied to 30 pound test or 80# braid,,,as far as jiggerpoling on weiss, not sure right off, the time i saw it done and did a little myself we just fishe bushy areas that were hanging out over the water, now i pitch into most of those areas just looking for a reaction bite or an active fish, get them on and then worry about getting them out[:-]