Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Jigs with Trailers

Old 06-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Jigs with Trailers

I've read many times where people suggest using trailers whenfishing jigs. Ive read anything between Uncle Joshes pork trailers to lizard/worm/crawfish trailers.

Is this common?

Do you prefer using a trailer or no?

If so, what trailer do you use?

Do you match the color of the trailer to the jig, or have it contrasting?
Old 06-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jigs with Trailers

I always use a trialer, but try to switch up the colors of the trailer to the jigs. Uncle Joshes are good, but I prefer a lizard body or a brush hog body on the back
Old 06-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

I use a trailer, I sometimes match the jigs, sometimes not. I use a rattle in dirty or cold water. I normally use a craw papi or something around 3", i like a big profile bait
Old 06-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I always use a trailor..I don't fish a jig alot because I haven't had a lot of success with it.In FLorida , it's hot. I only have about 3 -4 hours to fish.jigging takes alot of time.

If i find fish with a rubber worm deep..I'll then grab the jig and cast it.I use a green jig 3/16th ounce with green crayfish legs as a trailor..I can count the amount of fish I've had in 3 years..maybe7 boaters and 10misses.The bite is weird..One of the bites feels like you are bumping the bait over gravel or marbles..[8D]When that happens ..set the hook.The jig is bouncing around in the fishes mouth.The 5 1/2 I have posted on the tourny did that..You simply take up the slack and by FAITH set the hook..and she was there.Sometimes they pick it up like a rubber worm and take off...Sometimes the bait never touches the bottom..She sucks up the baits and stays suspended ..feels like a wet rag on your rod.
OVER A 4 Hour FISHING TRIP...6:00 AM-10:AM
The jig is not my favorite bait but I carry5 rods with me at all times and the jig is on my 5th rod..with Power Pro.It's a 6 1/2 foot spinning team Diawa Medium Heavy..on a Symetric Reel.I use this rod maybe 10 minutes..

Number4 rod is a snap swivel prepared 6 1/2 foot Team Diawa Cardinal 104 Garcia mono..for crankbaits or Rooster Tail.. I use this set up about 20 minutes

My Number 3 Rod is a mono lined medium 6 1/2 foot Lightning Rod ..spinning rod with a weedless spinnerbait..Garcia Spinning 103 model 1 hour

My number 2 rod is a Power Pro filled Garcia Revo in which I flip / cast a worm..a Fenwich Trigger Stick Medium Heavy with fast action..6'4" I cut some of the long handle off.
1 1/2 hours flipping

My Number1 Rod is a Power Pro filled Pflueger President with a Horny Toad on it.7 foot Ugly Stick medium 1 hour

MTHands got me started on the jig..He sent me some to try..My first 3 fish were huge but I didn't know how to set the hook..Actualy 40 percent of the hook up s have been over 5 pounds..I just don't get alot of bites..maybe one per outing ..if I'm lucky..takes a lot of patience fishing a jig..

Here my jig set up.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow, thats a lot smaller than what I am using. Maybe I should cut mine down some. Thanx for the great information!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

gangly,
Don't be in a hurry to cut it down..I'm the only one oin this site that uses small baits..The others will tell you to use big baits..I'm different as you can probably tell.

HOWEVER...my neighbor gave me a set of hard covered Bass Pro secrets that he paid 150.00 for..and some of the things I've recently learned..lo and behold the proshave said the same thing..they also switched to medium rods as they learned they were jerking the baits right out of the fishes mouth..

I'm going to try some of those other secrets this Sat..If I succeed I'll leave the lure in the fishes mouth.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

99/100 times i'll use a trailor, for me my favorite size jig is 1/2oz for flipping and pitching, i useally fish mine with a matching zoom super chunk, in cold water <45 i go to pork, my favorite colors is green pumpkin, but my old stand-by is black and blue, for fishing deep grass i like a 3/4 - 1 1/4 oz to bust thru and get below the "canopy" of matted grass. my biggest weakness fishing a jig is "swimming" a jig, i guess because i have the least confidence in this method, i still like to match the hatch, and i have caught and collected crawfish, most were red, dark brown, green, and almost transparent, i have also fish white jigs with a white trailor, so there have been a bunch of varibles[&:], if you have low confidence in a jig take about 4-6 in green pumpkin with a matching zoom super chunk, pitch it around every lay down you can find and you will catch fish, but be ready, hits can be like running over a brick with a lawnmower or as subtle as feeling nothing, maybe just your line moving. be ready for anything, if your not sure set the hook, oh yea use a jig with a good weed-guard

as far as jig trailor colors, mix it up try a little bit of everything, i caught an 8 1/4 once during the winter, i had ran out of "uncle josh" pork frog trailors and i switched to the only thing (pork) i had left, it was a strike king "bo liz" a pork lizard that is about 6-8" long, i never thought i'd catch the fish i did, as i fished this rig kind of half jokingly[&:], but like oneshot mentioned a big bait and a big profile may not get a bunch of bites, but when it does it will useally be a good one[:-]
Old 06-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

Always use trailers it increses the action of the jig and will put more fish in the boat.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

/My favorite is the lucky strike rick clun series at bps.