Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Let's talk crankbaits..

Old 06-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Let's talk crankbaits..

OK fellows..I've got a nice selection of crankbaits ..but rarely use them..

A. How do you catch BIG bass on them?

B. Do you fish from deep to shallow ..or from shallow to deep.?

C,What is your favorite color and brand?

D. What is your biggest BOATED..not the one that got away.[8D]?

E. When you caught it was..it weedy, rocky ..deep or shallow water..?

F. What time of the day was it?

Thanks,
Chuck7..
Old 06-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Let's talk crankbaits..

A. How do you catch BIG bass on them? Not sure,,this is why I'm asking..I've caught quite a few but the hits are few and far between..don't use it alot.

B. Do you fish from deep to shallow ..or from shallow to deep.? Mostly cast into deep water ..crank down fast and back to the boat..deep to deep I reccond.

C,What is your favorite color and brand?
BAGLEY Silver Shad or Model A bomer Fire Tiger Chartruese

D. What is your biggest BOATED..not the one that got away.[8D]? 8.2 on Fire Tiger Chartruese,,

E. When you caught it was..it weedy, rocky ..deep or shallow water..? 7 foot deep over a rock bar/ grassy..

F. What time of the day was it? 8:00 Am

And I have a few of these vintage Bagleys that are fish magnets..when trolled.

AND THE ONE THAT BROKE MY LINE[:@][:@][:@]after a 2 minute battle[:@]was on this ..[&o]but the shad color..not the color posted.

Rapala http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0011976116383a.shtml
Old 06-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. I get a crankbait that runs just over the top of the grass I am fishing, and sometimes I want it to bump the grass.
2. Grassy flats mostly, but some from shallow to deep off of the bank.
3. Favorite is a blue and chrome that was made by a few different companys but can no longer be found. I have 3 of them saved that I break out from time to time. The last ones I bought had a Pflueger package.
4. 7.5 boated with several over 6, also had two on that would have gone over 8 to 10 lbs [&:]
5. Grass Flat
6. around 3:00 PM
Old 06-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

A. How do you catch BIG bass on them? fish in areas that hold better fish, deep water rocks and brush

B. Do you fish from deep to shallow ..or from shallow to deep.? fish them deeper than they are intended to run, i like normam DD22 fished in 14' and less, i like to drege with watever i'm throwing and i want to be in contact with the cover sporaically

C,What is your favorite color and brand? citrus shad, and cant remember what its called but yellow back white sided with an orange belly,and the fire-tiger varities are some of my favorites along with traditional shad patterns

D. What is your biggest BOATED..not the one that got away.[8D]? several in the 8-9 # range

E. When you caught it was..it weedy, rocky ..deep or shallow water..? i've caught em both deep and shallow 2-20+

F. What time of the day was it? my biggest (just under 9 1/2) i caught on fork around 1 in the afternoon[&:]in 8 ft of water on a fred arbogast 1 1/4 mudbug in firetiger, this lure is/was designed to be fished 18-25 ft, i was wearing tree roots out

The Mud-Bug created a sensation from the moment it was introduced in 1968. It resembled a crayfish in appearance, even to the extent of being retrieved "backwards" to simulate a fast-moving or retreating crayfish. This deep-diving lure has been a winner in numerous bass fishing tournaments. By 1980, the Mud-Bug was available in five different sizes for fresh and saltwater fishing

Old 06-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for the info.Keith I'll pick up a few D D Norman..
http://www.outdoorproshop.com/Norman-DD22-Deep-Diving-Crank-model-p/norman_dd22.htm
Old 06-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

A. How do you catch BIG bass on them? By setting the hook..Keep em moving some move slower than others.

B. Do you fish from deep to shallow ..or from shallow to deep.? I preffer shallow most of the time. Early in the morning or late in the evening.. During the daytime it depends on the time of year whether to run shallow or deep. However up here no matter what time of year I keep them shallow early and evenings..

C,What is your favorite color and brand? There are several brands that are prettyy decent. Rapala makes some great minnow imatations tho..

D. What is your biggest BOATED..not the one that got away.[8D]? A 24 inch 4 and 1/2 pound smallie.

E. When you caught it was..it weedy, rocky ..deep or shallow water..? The edge of a drop off going from 4 feet to 15 feet, some small rocks but mostly muddy..

F. What time of the day was it? It was in mid August...

Old 06-02-2009, 01:59 AM
Dominant Buck

The edge of a drop off going from 4 feet to 15 feet
Phil..

I'm thinking of trying that this Sat..This Sat..I plan to take 2 lure types to get out of my comfort zone..Hony Toad...and Crankbaits...all 3 types..Minus One...Shad Rap...and D D Jointed Rapala Minnow and I do have one D D Norman.
With the full moon coming this Sunday..should be good..

Question..Would you guys recommend Monofilament or Power Pro braid?
Old 06-02-2009, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

From good ole common sense and a google search..Most would agree to use mono or flourocarbon..I hate the latter so I will be using mono..10 pound test.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

You ever try one of those Hoola poppers? Just cast it out and make it pop on the water every once and a while as you ever so slowly reel it in. i love it when the water opens up with a load splash as a bass comes up for the stirke.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Dominant Buck

More study...

A,.Most suggest 8-10 pound mono for longer cast to get to the bottom.

B Mosthave success when bumping structure.I personally have only hooked into 2 monsters..One was when I thought I was hung up in grass..the other I accidently was bumping the bottom of a deep pit..Both fish were over 8 pounds..

C. They suggest strongly to use a ring with your lure .

D. To tune up a crankbait..si,ply bend the front eye in the opposite direction that it is swimming sideways.

E, To go deep ,,reel slow..

F. I'm going to have to use my spinning tackle..I refuse to strip off the Power Pro to put mono on my baitcasters..[8D]

G. Reasons why I haven't used them alot...not many bites..the big crankbaits are tough on the ole gear boxes..
I don't have a lot of confidence in them. I've caught about 30 bass on crankbaits during my entire life. 2 hogs..one 4 pounder the rest...1 1/2 - 3 pounds.
However; maybe I haven't given them a fair chance..This Sat. I plan to Horny TOad the floating hydrilla and crank all deep water..I have lots of deep water to crank.

Quick Reply: Let's talk crankbaits..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.