Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Reel manufactures have no idea what they are talking about

Old 04-02-2009, 06:39 PM

Default Reel manufactures have no idea what they are talking about

Wonder why they have the lb and yrds set for each reel and why they have drags? They are placed on the reels for a reason. I can understand if you use your setup 3 or 4 times a year and place 5 to7 times the reel lb capacity on it.But when you don't follow the companies policy that is put in place for some reason it has to be an important one for them to do so. Do some people know more about that reel and capacity and the reason for drags are used for on those reels than the company? How long can one expect a reel to last if it is abused way past it's purpose. Anyones thoughts on this and what would you expect from a reel if it is used beyond it's capacity? Would the reel be considered junk or piece of crap if it stripped the gears out or?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Reel manufactures have no idea what they are talking about

Its late and you sorta got me lost but i will try and answer your question. The line capacity and lbs, is at ratio of how many yards of line it can hold in a certian poundage. You are not abusing you real buy putting 100yds of 17lb line on it if it says 140yrds at 14lb. Its just a guide line. I have reels with 150yds of 55lb braid and they run fine, and have one for years. As far as the drag system goes, it aids you in fighting fish, if you have light line you trun a loose drag so there is not a lot of tension on the line. I haow some where in the neighbour hood of 25-30 rod reel set ups all with different line types, sizes and weights and i am very hard on my equipment, I normally fish 3-4 times a week and all of my gear is holding up fine, just keep the oiled and you wont be abusing them