Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Got blessed today talking to a pro..

Old 03-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Got blessed today talking to a pro..

Well,
I have sad news. The local tackle shop is closing down.It was run by a man who wins alot of local big tournaments so I picked his mind.. which I will share in the last paragraph..

First, I spent 90.00.Everything was 50% off..I stocked up on Bass Assassin worms, about 14 packs..bluegill poppers, flukes, Gamakatsu worm hooks, gamakatsu treble hooks, Bagley balsa wood crankbaits, Zoom Horny Toads, Heddon Torpedoes, Spinner bait skirts, and crappie Hal Flies .His words are in green.

I asked him.".is the fluke any good??"

He said,"
" First of all 90 % of my fishing is done with the fluke.I flip it with the Carolina rig set up..I use a light split shot..When I use worms I always use blueberry..in Bass Striker" I do not use braid...I don't like the way it cast.and the fish see it.I don't use Flourocarbon either..I use 10 pound mono.Trilene or whatever..and never bigger than 12.."

don't you worry about break offs..Yes..I get break offs once in a while but I also get alot more bites ..[8D]I mostly fish the fluke carolina rigging..I use a swivel..but still only use mono.

This is one of our most respected fishermen around..I hate seeing him leave but the economy is killing us..
Old 03-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got blessed today talking to a pro..

Looks to me that some of the old pros aren't falling for every new fad,, I 'll keep the Power Pro on the baitcasters but have 3 spinning rods filled with 10 pound Trilene..I beleive the swivel must be to keep the mono from kinking up BECAUSE it will kink up when bumping a ribbon tail worm..
Old 03-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Make better friends with him and ask him to go fishing some time. Even the best fishermen like having company from time to time. One on one on the lake you will get some real tips and possibly have a fishing friend for life.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I wish..but he is leaving the county..
Old 03-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good stuff Chuck, I still use mono in clear lakes where it seems to make a difference. Its a shame that he had to close.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am glad you had a talk with a pro, I hope it helps you out a bit.. I only used mono except ice fishing or fly fishing, however I still use a long mono leader. I feel the same way that a fish can see the braided stuff.. I run 12 lb test line on most all my reels as well as the wife and kids reels. I still have break offs! But when you concider the fact that an Atlantic Salmon can be caught on a fly with the same 12 pound test leader in fast water. Then it can work on most all fish, I must admit I hate it when a big large mouth gets it caught in the liily pads and stuff. Almost always a break--off then..[:'(]
Old 03-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir,
I guess I won't be using as many shiners as I thought..[8D] I guess I'll have to win the tourny with artificials..

Our turkey season started today...I had 2 gobblers answer but they both got hung up..I think I was yelping toooo much..

I have over 12 rods..I made sure I have mono on 4 on them..I'm going out tomorrow to see if I can get a good one.Plan to try the fluke some..

Old 03-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Well folks.
Many of you know I'm pretty straight forward..
So here it goes,,

Went fishing this morning..left the braid at home ..took 4 rods..3 with Trilene 10 and one with Trilene Flourocarben 10lb.

7;15 AM..flippig a worm ..good hit with solid run..POP! breaks off..[:@]CRAP!!!

put the rod up..grabbed the flourocarbin.

next ..caught 3 small bass.
10:00 nice hit..clear water I see the fish ..a good 20 inches.
one average runnnnn and POP! [:@]

So I'm back to Power Pro..forever..[&o]man..had one for the tourny..
oh here's a gator that picked up my favorite worm of the day..
black and green tail..Bass Assassin Worm cooked in garlic oil

PS one thing for sure though in which th epro was correct..my hits tripled..

Old 03-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck, whats a fluke? Is is a short tube worm?
There is a lot a truth about catching more fish on lighter pound test line but like Phil said fishing the pads is a guarantee for a break off. I lost a 7lber at the boat using 10lb trilene two years ago at lake kissimmee. I think you have to have several different pound test lines in your arsenal depending on the type conditions that you may come across. I always have 17lb trilene on one of my rods for fishing the pads and one rigged with 10lb and two reels with 12llb. I personaly don't like using a swivel as I think that spooks the fish but I do find myself changing my line out due to the kinks.[:'(]

Bobby
Old 03-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Actually that is a 7 inch worm there that is all balled up;;on the gator's head..

A fluke represents a wouned bait fish..it 's like a jerk bait and can be fished on the bottom or jerk it over grass.
This is a fluke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFiadJTjAAA&feature=related

and a photo..

Quick Reply: Got blessed today talking to a pro..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.