Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Help

Old 03-16-2009, 06:18 PM

Default Help

Hey everyone i've been fishing along time, but not in the ponds. Okay my friend has a pond at his house and I can walk there. It's full of bass, crappie, and brim. Then my other friends have ponds full of catfish, brim, bass, crappie, carp and more. So i'm wondering what should I fish with just give me an idea. The water is murky. I've been using spinner bait for bass fishing, no luck at all. Also for the cat fishing I was using night crawlers and hooked a brim and thats all. Went fishing for around 5 hours today, but it was a rainy day. Give me some tips please. Here is the picture

Old 03-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Help

I would try a few small lures my self like repalas, daredevils, roostertails, and ect..
Old 03-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

If you want to catch the cats, take a small brim, live rig it off the bottom in a shallow spot in the pond. Night time is always good for cats. This time of year cats are easy to catch on forage that lives in the body of water you're fishing.

For the bass, it's still early, soft plastics fished slow would prolly be your best bet. Spinner baits will work better when the water has warmed up considerably.

Good luck
Old 03-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chiken livers for the catfish, or something like that. A bigger hook for them as well. The nitecrawlers will always work for bream and crappie. I dont know where your from but probably too early in the year for a spinner bait if your working it fast, pond water is probably cold and fish will be lethargic. A jig is a nice way to slow down, but takes osme time to master. Soft plastics like rubber worms and Super flukes will work if worked properly and slowly. Just take your time and play the fishing by the weather.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

I have done quite a bit of pond fishing in my time and might have some tips.

1. I never use that much of a night crawler on my hook. I only put enough to hide the hook and leave a very small "tail". A night crawler will catch all of the fish you mentioned in a pond. It is my favorite bait in a pond.

2. In murky pond water, a white or chartreuse beetle spin always works good for me.

3. I try not to use any "weight" on my line.

They will all start biting better as the water warms up. Hope that helps you some. Good Luck!!
Old 03-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

too early in the year for a spinner bait if your working it fast, pond water is probably cold and fish will be lethargic.
Not really, small spinner baits allow you to reel in slowly.. The old mepps minnows was a classic early in the year up here..
Old 03-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Notice the IF you are working it fast in there Phil, I actually like a spinnerbait this time of year anywhere, worked real slow and bumped over structure.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have better luck in ponds with live bait bass large minnows ,crappies= small minnows ,catfish=large or jumbo minnows ,Bream=worms or crickets.Catfish bottom with slip line sinker,everything else use float.JMHO
Old 03-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I grew up pond fishing..when I was about 25 I got some great up hooks for private ponds in the D.C. area..

As a kid..I'd simply toss out a night crawler..I never used a bobber..used a very light split shot..I would catch bluegill and catfish like this and an occasional bass..

Later on in my teens I began to focus on bass with artificial..
the lures that worked best for me were

. small 3" rapalas
small 2 " Lazy Ikes
6 " black rubber worms light bullet sinker..Texas style
bass poppers

As I've aged and gained much more experience..I'd be throwing...
a.Heddon torpedoes in the morning..along the shoreline..
b.3/8th ounce rooster tails in the middle let them sink to the bottom before retrieving them..retrive just fast enough to turn the blade..
c.6 inch worm Texas rig..light 1/8th ounce bullet sinker..dark colored worms
d.Rapalas...
Old 03-21-2009, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the replys really appreciated.