Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Catfish bait

Old 05-19-2003, 06:04 AM

Default RE: Catfish bait

Buckeyemike, LMAO . Even if it doesn' t work atleast the fishes arse won' t be sore I am going to try it, hell I' ll try just about anything once.

Liver, fish parts, bird parts, almost anything that stinks.

Hntngirl, I agree with you I have even used wd on bass lures and have had good results.

Old 05-19-2003, 07:38 AM

Around here that would be cut herring. They are very oily and the oil just comes out from the pieces and cats come right to it.

We catch them with nets in the spring when they come out of the ocean up the Chesapeake bay and they go up very small creeks to spawn by the thousands.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:55 AM

Buckeyemike, you' ve got e-mail
Old 05-24-2003, 10:04 AM

Can someone tell me what kind of rod I need to give catfish a try? I fish mostly largemouth and crappie. Can I use my bass rod? It' s a 7ft medium action rod with a Daiwa baitcasting reel.

What kind of line do you use? 10, 14, 14+?

Old 05-24-2003, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

bowhunter...it all depends...you going after bullheads? channels? blues? flatheads? how big do you want them big as they come or just normal guys maybe eatin size of a few lbs or so?? if your going after bullheads or regular few pounders that will work fine....i caught a 15lb channel cat on my medium spinning reel with 8lb test on it and got it up fine....dont take a dinky setup catfishing....they will strip your gears in a heartbeat...match your equiptment with the fish you want to catch..you want a 60lb blue dont take your bass rod with 12lb test on it.......
Old 05-25-2003, 10:33 AM

Thanks for your advice. I am pretty sure they' re either flatheads or channels. I am not looking for a 60lb one.. I don' t know what I' do with it...
Probably a couple 3-4 lbsers... I' ll probably throw them back. I dont care for catfish...
Old 05-25-2003, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

if there channels and your just looking for some fun fishing to pass the time get some night crawlers and chicken live and some decint sized hooks..not huge but not a little hook..i used to use bass fishing worm hooks before i found circle hooks and learned to fish them...you can use your bass setups for the normal few lb channel cats...they are a blast to catch and fight harder then youd think a fish that small could...i cant wait for school to be out and my grama to put the boat in..that means countless hours on the river..that means countles hours of fishing....sure theres bass..walleye...carp...and all kinds of other fish in the river.....but the one i go after most of the time is the catfish....i never ate one and have no intrest to...they are just plain fun to me...nothing beats a warm summer night with your lanters waiting for that bite....good luck...
Old 05-26-2003, 08:02 AM

Thanks! It makes me want to go fishing... as a matter of fact, I think I will this afternoon! hah hah

I' ll find a neighbor who has fished for catfish around here and have him take me out looking for those funny looking critters...