Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Question About Braid Fishing Line?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Default Question About Braid Fishing Line?

I put stren superbraid on one of my baitecasters, it casts real good.

Im thinking of putting braid on some more.

Here is my question.

How do you deal with hang ups?

Since braid won't break, and I don't want to loose a lot of $5, to $7 lures/plugs.
Plus the fact that you have to cut off line.

So how do you deal with hang ups useing braided fishing line?

Thank You
Old 02-24-2009, 05:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question About Braid Fishing Line?

I rarely lose lures,..I fish weedless when in structure..
80 % of my lure fishing for bass is with rubber worms..hooked Carolina or Texas..I mostly flip or pitch.,,I cover more water more thoughly

10 % I use Shiners ,,when hard up for a big fish..fast.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Come on there has to more than one person, with an opinion on this subject.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 AM

fishing weeds or rocks??i guess the only thing that i ever get hung up on is the dam rocks when im fishing tube baits and my only remedy is get a decenct pair of glasses and dont let the tube sit on the bottem just bump it off of it which i realize is common sense and as far as weeds go i just pick the pockets that i know i can skip over when i need to....in a nutshell i just try to keep out of the crap that i know i should not be in because like you said who likes to loose a 5-8 dollar rapala or what ever it may be
Old 03-17-2009, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have a boat, so I will be mostly fishing small ponds.
So how does braid do fishing in ponds?

Thank you

jrbsr
Old 03-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Hey jrbsr I fish almost exclusively with braided line and sometimes you just have to loose some lures. I am primarily a shore fisherman as well and have developed a few tricks to get my lures back.

If you make a bad cast into a tree or some other shrub just let your lure go over the branch and let it fall. Then reel it back to you as fast as possible so you whip it past the branch. If you try to get it out slowly you give the hooks too much of a chance to get stuck.

Underwater hangups from the shore are another story. Once you first notice that you are hung up don't pull harder because the hooks will only get stuck more. Wiggle your rod tip a little to see if you can't shake it loose. If not I will let out a little bit of line. I will take a towel and wrap it around my hand and then wrap the line around that so I won't cut myself. Then pull straight back on the line until either you pull up whatever you were hung up on or your knot breaks. I have pulled up quite a few logs with this method. Sometimes you just have to just accept the fact that you are going to loose some lures though. I find that I loose far fewer lures with braided line than I ever did using mono.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fishing from the shore is a s.o.b...as far assnags go.
your gonna get hung up and loose lures reguardless of what line you use.

if your fishing small ponds remember where the snags are at and try to find the best way(angle) to fish them withoout getting hung up. (wich means your gonna loose some baits in the learning process)

when i from the bank im always using something weedless....like a texas rigged worm....or a top water. i wont throw plugs cuz they are expensive and your gonna loose em...
i was haveing a good day with walleys fishing a place called the "steel dam" from the shore with rattletraps....i caught a 6pounder and three 4 pounders and several other fish....but i lost all my rattletraps that day.....all 6 of them that i had in 1/4 oz. some of the colors were rare too....cant find the same ones....this was when i was in highschool tho over 10 years ago(before i knew how to fish plastics corrrectly....

if your worried about having to cut off 10 yards of braided expensive line every time you get snagged....just tie a monofillement leader (12 lbs test or so)on with a "blood not" (video link on how to tie> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufncs42S8G8 thats about2feet long to the end of your line and tie the lure to that. when you get a snag it should break at the leader if you pull strait back...keeping you from having to cut off all that braid.

personally the only thing i like about braid is the no memory trait of it...

i still use stren mono in high vis gold 14lb test all the time so i can see my line when fishing plastics. i like the stretch of it...and its very forgiving...and not so hard on your equipment.....braid has its place tho.....but im always fishing shallow(under 10 feet of water mostely always.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

you know the funny thing about braid is its what the old timers had back in the day.....and as soon as Mono came out.....nobody usedthat dreaded braid anymore...Braided line was considered inferior junk....\

untill spidey wire came out and jacked there price up to like $40 for a 150 yard spool...and a bunch of suckers bought it.

its funny how marketing changes peoples perception these days.
there was never anything wrong with MONO...its still the same tried and true line and it works. guys will say they catch more fish on braid...thats because thats all they are using is braid.....thats like me saying i catch more fish on power bait when thats all i throw 95% of the time.

one thing ill never useagainis florocarbon....i just didnt find anything to like about it... the negatives outwieghd the positives by far.

too me the only bad thing about MONO is the memory of it...so you have to swap it out every month or so if you fish alot and like your stuff casting smooooooooth...

heres a tip that will save you line when you respool
with that blood Knot....when you need to change your line on the spool....onlystrip off 50 yards of old line anduse a blood knot to attatch the new line to the old line...50 yards of line is wayyy plenty for most(if you need more go 70 yards with the strip i dont know why you would ever have 70 yards of line out but)....on my flipping sticks i only strip off25 yards and tie new line in(i dont needmore than 25yards of new line to flip heavy cover.

youll never get to the knot it will stay on the spool. and you dont have to use 150 yards of new line to spool your reel up......

i got line on reels that is 15 years old at the bottom of the spool.....there is nota reasonto ever strip it all off if you use a bloodknot......this will save youa lot of line and money over the years.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Dominant Buck

you know the funny thing about braid is its what the old timers had back in the day.....and as soon as Mono came out.....nobody usedthat dreaded braid anymore...Braided line was considered inferior junk....
Alpha Capo

Hey Partner,
I lived back in those days..the braid they had back then is not like the braid we have today..Shucks, my 20 pound Power Pro is only 6 pound diameter..a far cry from 20 pound braid in the 60s..
They also sold nylon which was a night mare..Mono was diffently it..and the reel to have was a baitcaster Garcia 5000 or a spinning reel in the Mitchel 300 series..

"one thing ill never useagainis florocarbon....i just didnt find anything to like about it... the negatives outwieghd the positives by far."

I can almost agree. It stinks with live shiner fishing..it's horrible with rubber worm fishing..BUT I like it with crank and spinner baits..no problems yet..It does want to jump off the spool so be careful..I would never try it on a baitcaster..to jumpy..Presently I only have one spinning rod with flourocarbon..it's the new trilene flouro..10.00 for 110 yds..[:-]
Old 03-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a oneold Red Round reelits the one with the 15 year old mono on the bottom half of the spool....it just wont die. it was a hand me down baitcaster.

i also have a couple Abu "ROyal Express" reels that were the first real Baitcasters i bought for myself...in 6.3 Gear ratio when that high speed craze first hit(i semi retired them to bank pole/camping/loaner status ......i also had a Abu garcia Two speed reel.....this thing was COOOOOL...and its now at the bottom of the mississippi river because i didnt strap her down while running....that thing was awsome...but it was heavy....and awkward feeling after about 20 minutes with it....

you can still get the Abu Garcia Record models........in a 4600 size great for bassin they will last you so long youll get baried with it.

Quick Reply: Question About Braid Fishing Line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.