Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Great Lakes.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Great Lakes.

Well who else goes after the Trout and Salmon in the big lakes. Man I cant wait for Milwaukee in April.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Great Lakes.

While I do not fish the great lakes, I do like fishing for trout and salmon..I like fishing one of the biggest lakes close to me here. That would be west grand lake and I enjoy the lake trout fishing best cause some of them get fairly big for this state..Salmon here is landlocks and getting one 2-3 pounds is concidered realatively big now aday..
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a first mate on a charter boat. Last year was pretty terrible, i'm hoping that it was "just one of those years".

I'm looking forward to see how this year plays out.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I fish on the East side of Lake Michigan of the West Michigan coast a little bit. I don't find it very fun. It's just me, and I'm not looking down on anyone else. I just think the heavy duty poles, heavy line, planer boards, etc just isn't like the fishing I enjoy.

I'm more of a cast and reel, or cast and flow guy. I love to catch Salmon and Steelhead in MANY tribs of the Great Lakes though!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

BH14 I know what you mean.

It is ALOT of work trolling the big pond. I like going out withfriends and taking your time setting the lines, enjoying the beautiful sunrize and each others company.

Working out there can be stressful. Setting 16 or so lines in a matter of mintues and praying that nothing will go wrong.Knowing that people put money on you to catch fish is HARD. It can also be very fun when you fight them big kings or have rainbows doing aerial maneuvers.

I fish the local piers and rivershard come spring and fall, and IMO it's alot more fun. But charter fishing does puts somecash in your wallet so I can't hate it too much.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love ALL kinds of fishing...Deep water trolling is not my favorite kind of fishing, but it sure beats mowing the lawn......

A close friend of mine had a camp on Lake Ontario at Oak Orchard for about 20 years..He ran a Grady White and I used to enjoy fishing with him..Generally there would be 3 or 4 of us, and my buddy would run the boat, and I would do the rigging...Lots of fun when the fish were biting...We usually targeted the steelheads, but we'd catch a mixed bag of kings, cohos, steelies and an occasional laker..

The fishing changes from year to year on the Great Lakes, from area to area... We had a couple of slow seasons at Oak Orchard andmy buddygave up the camp...Since then, I've missed getting out on the big lake, and the quality of the fishing has rebounded around the south shore of Ontario..

I still hit the tribs for steelheads a few times a year, and that is a blast...Nothing like hooking a 10 or 15 pound steelie in a small stream on fly tackle...It's a real brawl, and I usually lose more than I land..