Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

River Fishing

Old 04-12-2003, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default River Fishing

I do a lot of large ponds and small lake fishing for Lg mouth Bass and Pan Fish. Pretty successful.
I have done very little river fishing.
The Tar River is near me. I have fished it twice. Caught a few here and there.
Now its flooded. About 10' above flood stage.

>>>When would be a good time to fish it?
>>>Where would you fish mostly?
>>>Lure tips??

FirstBow
Old 04-12-2003, 11:47 PM

Default RE: River Fishing

I the red river of the north all the time in the summer.Most of the time up hear i fish walleyes but i dont know if you have them down there. I fish cat fish lots to. I ussually go well i guess i go all the time exept at like noon when it is like 100 degrees and it is to hot to move but i go when the river is up or down and it reall doesnt seem to matter to much but maybe i am just lucky. when i am fishing catfish i use gold-eye and just cut them up into 1x1.5 in peices and cast them right into the calm spot right of the edge of the fast moving current.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

Come on you cats. I know more of you fish rivers. And have some good tech. help for an ol' timer like myself.
How some good spots in a river or what to look for......

Pretty much the same as lakes?

Its the moving water that has me baffled. Where would they lay up?

Worms?

Spinners?

Weights?
Old 04-14-2003, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

FirstBow, my only river fishing experience is with bass.
The fastest way I have found to get on the fish is to find anywhere that has clean water coming into the river. Creeks are great, so are discharges from factories, as long as it is clean water.
After that, find structure. Boat docks can be good, bridge pillars too.

Fish in rivers tend to move around making it hard to find them at times, but fresh water coming in always seems to be a sure bet.

Sunken barges, things like that are good.

As far as lures go....I catch most of my fish on tube baits, but I use them more than any other type so it stands to reason that I would have greater success with them.
Bandit crank baits work great for me too. And first thing in the morning, or late in the evening I sometimes kill the fish with topwater chug bugs by storm.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-14-2003, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting Fever, you had to remind me of the lock walls![X(]

In PA we cannot fish there during tournaments, but they can be real hotspots!
Old 04-15-2003, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

Ah yes, fresh water inlets![:-] Yep saw some of those along the rivers edges.
Yea Big Country, Bass is pretty much all I' ll fish unless, the Crappie are hitting then I' ll switch over for some quick fun.

Usually I' ll head " up the river without a paddle" [:-], then drift back down.
I have also noticed that WORMS are not to good. They seem to drift out and into the current. Crank Baits you say? Bombers and fat rattles? Got some of those. Not much success though. Must be my technique. I haven' t used them much, here and there.

As far as River size, its not really that wide. From 30 - 200' - 300' wide. Lots of bends. Lots of narrows bends. But sure runs for ever. Lots of sand bars too. I have seen plenty of boats beached. I have also noticed some shallow runs (creeks) off the river.

Just what is an EDDIE? Still water behind or near something? I have heard fishermen say, I was trying to hit all the " eddies" . I caught him in an eddie.
OK call me stupid.[8D] I' m just not sure. But where is EDDIE?

I can find and fish off points and drops. Same rules apply as lakes?

What you are also saying, is that now that the river is flooded, I should wait until it subsides somewhat and then try to find clean or fresh water inlets? Hey we have several bridges with the huge concrete pillars. I did get a few strikes around there before.

Should I fish with the current, across or against?

Is it, the more still the water the better chance of fish? Cleaner water better?

I tell you what, the last time I fished the river, I caught more Gar than anything. Dag burn things tear up some lures and line. I beat' em in the head when I catch them ol' ugly things.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

First, I not sure when your talkin, now when its high? If so bass on the Miss. move into the flooded trees that used to be high and dry. They like to use small ditches to migrate into the trees. Jigs, works and spinner baits around the shallow wood cover. Remember this early look for calm current breaks.

Old 04-15-2003, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

Yea basserman, its flooded now and won' t peak until tomorrow. About 12' above flood stage. You say, they will move into the freshly flooded areas. Cool. I have pondered that thought. So, they move back into the main flow just as the water receeds?
Old 04-15-2003, 12:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: River Fishing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.