Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Ice Fishing Question?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ice Fishing Question?

I am fairly certain we will be ice fishing by the end of the week here and the pond we will most likely go to is full of hybrid bluegill and normal bluegill. i was wandering what is the best lure for them. we normaly go to a lake and we use kastmasters to catch walleye, white bass, wipers, and stripers but i think the kastmasters are to big for bluegill. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ice Fishing Question?

In Michigan people generally have 3 different lures/methods.

First would be a plain hook with bait, this is the least effective in my mind.

Second would be a teardrop, which is like a very small jig, tipped with bait. This is very effective and adds weight to the line so it will get you back into the fish quicker.

Third, something that few use, is called in general, and "ice fly". These can be very effective but I have little information to give you about them. I have bought a few and hope that I never lose them.

PENDING ON THE LAW OF YOUR STATE, my favorite method is to tie a "ice fly" and leave about 3 foot of slack line in the knot, and tie a tear drop below it. This will get my bait into the fish quicker, and gives me double the chances.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Try small rocker type jigs size 8, 10 or 12 hooks in different colors. Works well for sunnies, gills or crappie. Tip them with a couple of spikes (maggots) or a wax worm.

Another good one is a demon size 8, 10 or 12 and tip them the same as a rocker.

Use real light action micro jig poles 24 to 30" with 4 pound test or lighter.
You can getlures at http://www.customjigsandspins.com/among other places.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I have another question will they hit small marabou jigs (1/64 to 1/100 oz) i have a few of them and i was just wandering?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I haven't had much luck with anything other than small jigs tipped with spikes or waxies. Colors that work well here on Champlain for gills are orange, chartreuse, and white with red or blue or greentip. I have hundreds of different lures and keep them in metal fly boxes. The clips keep the jigs from getting scratched and keeps the colors together. The colors really matter and when the bite turns finicky I switch colors and they usually hit better. I use quick clips on the line soI can change lures without tying on each time. I like the Mustad clips in #3 (small) for flat fish and #1 for perch.
Might as well get used to using spikes because without live bait they usually don't hit all that well. Keep your hands out of your mouth after handling the spikes because the juice thy give off is pretty nasty. Most of the bait shops and even grocery stores here sell them in the winter. They come by the hundred in a tube or vial.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

1.) You need live bait with a jig (As stated by C.I.)
2.) Smaller the better in most cases.
3.)Weather, cloud cover, etc.often times decides color.

In my personal case, I have never had luck with marabou jigs.

I would really go out and purchase 5/6 different color small jigs and 2 dozen spikes or maggots. Costs about 5 bucks and you will be in the fish!
Old 12-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rat Finkees in green tipped with waxies always work for me.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

i believe that castmasters do come in small sizes too.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have a question to add to yours how deep should i be to go for blue gills and also how thick does the ice have to befor me to go out on it on my pond?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Around here the gills are always in water from 3' deep to about 12'. Most average they are in about 6-8'. I will go on 2" of clear black ice. If snow covered I like at least 3" since I can't see the bad spots. I need at least 6" for me to take my wheeler out on it and 10-12" before I use the truck.

Quick Reply: Ice Fishing Question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.