Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Finesse Baitcaster

Old 11-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Finesse Baitcaster

What would you guys consider a good Finesse Baitcaster? I'm looking at this http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_90674?cm_mmc=froogle-_-100-1-1-_--1-_-38-350-460-00&hvarAID=46KY&mr:trackingCode=911BE1D8-EAB0-DD11-B7E2-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA and was wondering if anyone's used one.
Thanks
Joe
Old 11-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finesse Baitcaster

id stay away from bass pro brand stuff......not that its not good out of the box....but if you intend to fish alot with it you'll probably get about 3 seasons out of it max....
they are good designs with cheap parts and they tend not to hold up....even the $99 ones

my dad bought 4 rickey Clunn's and had nothing but good things to say the first season he used them......hes already had to replace 2 of them and the two that still work arent as smooth as they should be.....
hes a amature tounament angler....hesdoesnt beaton his stuff...but he uses the hell out of it....
if your a guy that is either hard on your stuff or uses your reels alot....get something better than a 99$ bass pro reel. if you just fish occasionally they will be oK. (99$ reels)
id also worry about the reliability especially in a 99$ bass pro real where everything has been made smaller.

i have a couple Revo SX they are awsome. the REVO s is $110(castwheightless sluggos/flukes fine with 14lb stren ... Abu makes great stuff....the round reels are bulletproof(in a unrefined(not for finesse)kind of way and have a big footprint)and the new low profiles are quality gear......if your hard on your gear you cant beat a round reel for durability and reliability.....

Shimano makes great stuff too.(calcutta ct100b...its little... i have two that are over a decade old...they arent like new anymore tho...but when i got them they where the best reel id ever fished with, the revo takes that spot now)

Shimano and Abu Garcia are the reels i recomend.....

you dont need a tiny reel to castlight lures.....you just need a good reel that will operate smoothly for a long time. if your gonna be casting tiney lures like3/16 oz total weight and smaller use a spinning reel or a good spin cast.(if its windy you can forget about casting little stuff with anything) nothing wrong with the old spincast(diawa goldcast)....just spend the money for a good one.
the right rod(length and action)makes all the difference too when your gonna be casting lightweight lures.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

I been using spinning gear for little T/R French fry worms, little 4" worms, just figured I asked about a little baitcaster. There's one of these BPS reels on E-Bay for $24.00
Old 11-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

for that price you cant really go wrong....buy me one too while your at it[8D]

spinncast and open face spin reels are the way to go for ultra light lures....i just am not used to them and always get line twist no matter what i do...ive tried all the tricks...line twist never lets me down[&o]