Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

I gave the Trick Worm a good work out today..

Old 07-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default I gave the Trick Worm a good work out today..

Oneshot7 introduced me to it last year..but I wanted to see some different ways of fishing it..I finally saw a simple way of hooking it up ..You simply Texas rig it in the middle..I fished without a weight..SLOOOOWW Fishing though..can't cover as much water..BUT the rig looks deadly. weighted hooks would have been much better but I did boat 3 bass this morning..one was flipping..The Trick Worm in my opinion is better for flipping..I had 6 bites which is not bad at all for this moon phase we are in..I met up with an old timer who fishes the same place I fish at Saddle Creek..His best overall bass in 40 years has been 18 pounds 4 ounces from a Fin and Feather pit.{ Private Club} .I ask him what the biggest was he caught where we were fishing today..he said 12 lbs 6 ounces..[:-]and he 's boated many 8s and 9 s there,,[]I started picking his brain..He uses an 8 inch worm and a much heavier bullet sinker 3/8 ..He also showed me where there are crappie ..This morning he already had a 4-5 pounder which I saw..We each caught 3..

So..the Trick Worm is now one of my favorite lures indeed..

PS..He is also strictly a catch and release man..no matter how big the fish..
Old 07-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I gave the Trick Worm a good work out today..

your catching on!! that lure is awesome. ive caught so many huge baas on it. even a 10 pounder.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats Chuck. I'm heading out this evening and will try Texas rigging one in the middle like you described...
Old 07-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Well,
I will say the rig is effective BUT it must be fished slowly..I later found my weighted off set fish hooks..They will be much better because you can fish the worm a little faster and cover more area..Here is the article I read that got me started..

http://www.probass.net/protips/RexChambers/RexChambers1.php
Old 07-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

i fish mine comepletely weightless with a 3/o EWG hook. i can fish it fast and i tear up the fish.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:07 PM

Maybe I need to try that here in SC. I fished for about 8 hrs yesterday on lake Jocasee. I carolina rigged my stuff fishing with u-tale watermelonseed and finess green pumpkin and didn't get but a few hits. Lake Keowee they tear that stuff up! I also tried my Rapala red crawdad crank and nothing to show. So then we just bream fished for food the rest of the day. Caught about 30 bream between us.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't believe it's a magic set -up but it does give a more real life like look to the rubber wom..BUT to fish this thing correctly without a weight is very time consuming..I feel with a weighted hook I can fish it a little faster..The Trick Worm works good fo rme in thick weeds and brush..For me..it's more a finesse lure

ONE BAD THING..all my bass swallowed the bait completely..[]

ONE GOOD THING..you can use the same worm quite a few times before changing it..just restick the worm in a different location.

I will be using the Trick Worm on every bass trip...There have been quite a few Florida tournys won by this method..It really brings that worm to life..Driftin gis OK but actually bumping it lightly with the rod tip works best..Remember ..when not using a weight ..A little bump is a lot / it's a finesse technique..
Old 07-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow Chuck that must have been a while back, I dont even remember it. It is without a doubt one of the most effective worms on the market. I fish it in about three different ways, and yes the slow way has always worked better for me. I rig it up wacky style with no split shot or a very small split shot and let it sink then pop it up and just continue this exploring different depths until I find the right depth, this is best for suspended fish. Then I rig it up straight and fish it fast like a floating worm, it works but not as effective where I fish. Then you have the texas rigged option, which I love. This worm just looks down right deadly like this and will work anywhere. I use a bullet sinker on it because I am not that patient. Keep at it chuck.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow Chuck that must have been a while back, I dont even remember it. You had PMed me a secret message to try using it last year drifting it under a bobber..When Johnny mentioned catching bass on it..I decided to try it one more time but look on line to see some other set ups..It is without a doubt one of the most effective worms on the market. I fish it in about three different ways, and yes the slow way has always worked better for me. Yep me too..and one has to have confidence with the lure they are using..when I watched it falling througfh the water..I was sold..both sides of the worm was wiggling slowly like a real falling worm. A little twitch makes the worm look like it's struggling as both sides twitch.it needs to be finessed like a jig...I rig it up wacky style with no split shot or a very small split shot and let it sink then pop it up and just continue this exploring different depths until I find the right depth, this is best for suspended fish. yep I can see that working ..Then I rig it up straight and fish it fast like a floating worm, it works but not as effective where I fish. Then you have the texas rigged option, which I love. This worm just looks down right deadly like this and will work anywhere. I use a bullet sinker on it because I am not that patient. I hear ya...fising it weightless takes the patience of Job..so I plan to use a weighted hook tomorrow..Keep at it chuck. ok
I think this rig may work good in all my high pressured lakes..most guys would not have the patience for it..
This morning I had 3 hits in about 20 minutes. I would certainly go with a bigger worm with this rig as well ..A 10 incher may land a real hawg..

Old 07-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

chuck its ok to fish it right at the surface. thats one way i do it. give it big action and i catch em all day. i like the 3/o EWG hooks the best. i rig it up front though. weightless texas rig. just give it good jerks and i work it relatively fast. but not to fast.

Quick Reply: I gave the Trick Worm a good work out today..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.