Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Bite Light???

Old 04-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bite Light???

well i saw it in a magazine and yes i was pulled in....i was suckered and now i want to buy it...but first i want to know if it actually works and how? it says it catches 8 fish per hour...how does the light know when to work and how would you replace it??? just a few questions before i randomly buy it if you dont know what im talkin about look here http://www.ngcsports.com/moreinfo%5Cnew_bite_light%5Cnewbitelightinfo.cfm and for some other popular lures look here www.ngcsports.com...thanks for any help!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:30 PM

Default RE: Bite Light???

Save your money. It falls under the category of the helicopter lure/flying lure/etc... The only one of those televised lures I have ever seen work in real life is the banjo minnow. Others are just pieces of junk. Just remember that if you throw a lure enough times you are pound to find one fish dumb enough to hit it.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: indianahunter83

Save your money. It falls under the category of the helicopter lure/flying lure/etc... The only one of those televised lures I have ever seen work in real life is the banjo minnow. Others are just pieces of junk. Just remember that if you throw a lure enough times you are pound to find one fish dumb enough to hit it.
x2

I do have the banjo minnow set, and it does work, but honestly I wouldn't spend the money to buy it new again. Cost to benefit ratio for the Banjo is pretty low, and I can't see that lure being any better. To only reason that a bait like that would work is because fish haven't seen it before. Why do you think there are "fad" lures every couple years that die out again and again. Chatterbaits anyone? Fad lure, fish haven't seen anything like it before, so it works. Until they get used to seeing those too, then it's back to the drawing board. If you want something different that will give you an edge, try customzing baits you already own. In-Fisherman had a small article on this a month or two ago I think with some really good tips on bleeding plastics and paint options for jigs and cranks.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

x2

I do have the banjo minnow set, and it does work, but honestly I wouldn't spend the money to buy it new again. Cost to benefit ratio for the Banjo is pretty low, and I can't see that lure being any better. To only reason that a bait like that would work is because fish haven't seen it before. Why do you think there are "fad" lures every couple years that die out again and again. Chatterbaits anyone? Fad lure, fish haven't seen anything like it before, so it works. Until they get used to seeing those too, then it's back to the drawing board. If you want something different that will give you an edge, try customzing baits you already own. In-Fisherman had a small article on this a month or two ago I think with some really good tips on bleeding plastics and paint options for jigs and cranks.
I really am not sure about the Bass getting "used" to a lure. I think we give them more credit than they deserve sometimes. If a lure is effective it will stay effective barring major changes in the fishery.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

x2

I really am not sure about the Bass getting "used" to a lure. I think we give them more credit than they deserve sometimes. If a lure is effective it will stay effective barring major changes in the fishery.
Major studies done by Berkely have shown that a fish once caught one lure are much harder to catch the second and third time around with the same lure. They also show that in situatutions like this when a new lure is introduced to the pattern they will strike that lure with the same frequency as the original lure on the first round. These are long term studies and the evidence seems pretty sound to me. Just my .02
Old 04-22-2008, 08:55 PM

Major studies done by Berkely have shown that a fish once caught one lure are much harder to catch the second and third time around with the same lure.
The one thing I hate to see is when the study is done by a company. To put this in perspective when drug companies do studies on their own drugs you know they will display the statistics that put their drug in the best light. This applies to lure manufacturers as well. It makes sense for them to want us to buy the new lures and they have the data to supposedly prove it. However time and time again bass tournaments are being won by crankbaits/spinnerbaits/jigs. (Though the new swimbait craze is turning some heads... man this year at Lake Amistad was ridiculous!)
Old 04-23-2008, 05:59 AM

Major studies done by Berkely have shown that a fish once caught one lure are much harder to catch the second and third time around with the same lure.
The one thing I hate to see is when the study is done by a company. To put this in perspective when drug companies do studies on their own drugs you know they will display the statistics that put their drug in the best light. This applies to lure manufacturers as well. It makes sense for them to want us to buy the new lures and they have the data to supposedly prove it. However time and time again bass tournaments are being won by crankbaits/spinnerbaits/jigs. (Though the new swimbait craze is turning some heads... man this year at Lake Amistad was ridiculous!)
I do agree with for the mose part. A company doing a study is much different than an independent organization doing studies. However, I've seen this kind of thing first hand and professional anglers know it too. There is a reason that there are so many different lure paints and custom lure tools/dies, it works. Example: I fish a tourney every year on Lake Michigan during the summer. Almost every year I catch fish casting spoons and others in my group don't. Why? Because I don't throw the same kind they and everyone else that's been fishing the pier for the past several months. I know that silver/blue and silver/green combos are the most commonly thrown colors. I'll throw a variation of that with something like gold/green or silver/chartruese(sp?).
Old 04-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I'll usually try anything ...Last year I witnessed a father and son beat me in catching fish.I was using shiners and caught 12 nice ones in one hour. They were using the new Chatterbait and caught 25 ..same 1 acre cove..I was like..[:-]
I went out and bought 2...same colors as them..I've caught nothing on them..

My consistant lure is the rubber worm ...
Rooster Tail is a winner but 90% of the fish will be small..
I fish a very HIGH PRESSURE area...so I generally finesse a worm slowly in thick cover..If they decide to bust the water ..my white Rooster is ready.. I use the Rooster to discover the depth and what kind of structure..

Example ..last night I cast till I found 7feet or less deep submurged islands of hydrilla.When i found them I would anchor..it was very windy..I found 4 spots like that.Each spot produced a bass.SO my Rooster is not only a reaction lure but my depth finder. Rooster Tail is an excellent count down lure