Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Low Pressure front fishing

Old 04-17-2008, 05:46 AM

Default Low Pressure front fishing

Out of curiosity, how many of you will go out and fish during low press. systems. We all know that fish are generally inactive during such fronts and that makes the fishing rather difficult. I go out just before the front, just after it starts to move out, and if it's an extended front I'll go out smack in the middle of it. I've usually had pretty good luck when doing this. I'll fish live bait on real light setups and hope for that instinctive, reaction bite.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Low Pressure front fishing

I find low pressure systems very active actually, light rain and the fish are biting.. I think because it knocks more flies into the water.. Also the fact with most of our cold water lakes the rain is actually a little warmer and those fish start hitting better. When a high pressure system moves in after a rain I can fish all day without hardly a bite..
Old 04-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

for bass fishing you can't beat low pressure pre-frontal conditions, high pressure and blue-bird skies are what are tough for me[:@] help me out here[&:]

most times the nicest days are the worst for getting bites, hard toget/make people fish in high wind, rough water and a dropping barometer, but those are my finest hour(s), there have been days i could have made a good motorguide advertisment[:-][:@]
Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 AM

Wow, that's kinda interesting that you both have a harder time catchin fish during high pressure systems. I've only ever had problems with extended high pressure systems (kinda rare in WI though).

I am glad that I'm not the only crazy one fishing in the crappy low pressure weather.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

once the weather stabilizes the fishing picks back upeven with high pressure, but the absolute worst days for me are the "nice days" right after a front "blue bird skies" and "high pressure" [:@]

the reasoning may have to do with the type water we fish, most fishing in the southeast (bass once again) is in shallow weed and stump infested water and fish become more active during a falling barometer, where the effects of the pressure change are noticed the quickest, pressure will be less affected (its already higher) in deeper water.. water clarity will also have a big impact on what depth the fish are utilizing, in a deep clear lake the change in barometric pressure would be less noticeable because fish in this enviroment will already be relateing to deeper structure than the would in a shallow, dingy water enviroment,also dirty water warms up quicker than clear water..

there are a bunch of factors that could play into this, if you can catch fish the day after a front, it should make catching them pre-frontal very easy, which would be a good thing
Old 04-17-2008, 12:10 PM

Give me overcast conditions with the barometer falling and I'm happy. In my experiences this is the time to fish. The slowest times are when the pressure stabalizes, whether it be on the low or high side of the barometer.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Low Pressure

High Pressure
Old 04-17-2008, 05:11 PM

The key is you aren't going to catch fish if you aren't out fishing. My time schedule doesn't exactly let me pick my fishing days so I really don't follow fronts. Once I get out on the water I spend the first hour or so making a pattern and then stick to it.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Whether I am bass fishing or trout fishing in the deeper lakes the day after a rain is real slow fishing.. I work shift work so my days are also limited, and I have found out time and time again fish appear to bite better during a light rain. I am not saying you can not catch fish the day after but it sure is hard trying to get one to bite. I have found this to hold true when fishing white perch also and they travel in schools alot up here.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

Whether I am bass fishing or trout fishing in the deeper lakes the day after a rain is real slow fishing.. I work shift work so my days are also limited, and I have found out time and time again fish appear to bite better during a light rain. I am not saying you can not catch fish the day after but it sure is hard trying to get one to bite. I have found this to hold true when fishing white perch also and they travel in schools alot up here.
People actually FISH for white perch? On Lake Erie we throw them to the Seagulls to snack on. Same for White Bass.

Quick Reply: Low Pressure front fishing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.