Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

how the heck do you catch grass carp?!?!?!?!??!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:53 PM

Default RE: how the heck do you catch grass carp?!?!?!?!??!

nope none of those trees
Old 02-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

If you see them coming up and eating stuff like mal-berries, vegitation, cottonwood seed, and the year the locust where thick I seen alot of grass carp sucking them down, you put what ever they are eating on a small strong hook right in front of where they are eating and you can somtimes get them to suck it in but be ready for a fight.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:24 PM

yeah they eat grass a lot when i cut it into the pond
Old 02-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

i cant wait for summer to catch these things.
does any old rod and reel work for these? is 12 lb test good enough?
nope
i would use atleast 17 mono or use some copolymar atleast 15
Old 02-27-2008, 04:28 PM

u sure?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

u sure?
12lb will do, you just need to have the drag set right. A good technique is to chum an area with canned corn, than put out about 3 lines with a few pieces of corn on the hook, dough balls work too.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah your drag is one of the most important parts. you need a very smooth strong system
Old 02-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

i found this on a website
Cornmeal Carp Bait
Boil 1 pint of water in saucepan
Mix 2 cups of cornmeal and 1 cup of flour together in a bowl
Add 1/2 package of gelatin to boiling water (any flavor)
Put burner on low and add 2 tablespoons (tbsp.) sugar and I tbsp. of vanilla flavor.
With a large spoon cover the surface of the water with the cornmeal and flour mixture. A bubble of water will come through. Cover the bubble with cornmeal. Another bubble will come through (cover again). over the bubbles until the cornmeal/flour mix is gone. Stir dough mixture for about 30 seconds. Remove pan from the stove and dump dough onto foil. Knead the dough as soon as it is cool enough, then roll into a ball. Wrap dough in foil, and refrigerate. (Keeps about a week)

Doughball Delight
Blend together 1 cup of water, 1 1/2 tbsp. vanilla, 1 tbsp. honey, and 4 tbsp. sugar in a medium-sized pot, over medium heat. When mixture starts to boil, slowly sprinkle in 1 cup of yellow cornmeal. Stir mixture quickly and thoroughly for about 3 min. until it becomes a firm doughy consistency. Remove from heat and put dough on a dinner plate. Press the dough flat and let it cool for 1 or 2 min. then turn it over and let the other side cool. Work the dough in your hand for a minute, then place it in a plastic bag and seal it.

Bouncing Doughball
2 cups flour
2 cups cornmeal (Quaker)
2 cups water

Put into an old pot and stir into a paste. Cook, flatten, and stir until mixture becomes thick. Add I tbsp. vanilla, 4 tbsp. Karo dark syrup. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cook, flatten, and stir until thick again. For desired consistency, make a little ball out of the mixture, drop it and if it doesn’t bounce an inch or two, continue cooking until it does.

Jell-O Doughball
Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add three tbsp. of strawberry flavored Jell-O, then slowly add, while stirring a mixture of two cups of yellow cornmeal and one cup of flour. Now, turn down the heat and stir while cooking for about five minutes. Let the dough cool thoroughly before refrigerating in a plastic bag.

Other Ingredients and Recipes
The above recipes do not even begin to scratch the surface (as the saying goes) of carp bait possibilities. There are many other kinds of baking ingredients, grains, sweeteners, and flavorings that can be used for making doughball. Anything from rice to various other kinds of wheat and corn grains, some of which have been mentioned in previous NACA articles. Some not. The list is endless. There are probably many more yet undiscovered ingredients that have yet to be considered. The above doughball recipes should give the newcomer to carping or using doughball a place to start experimenting with bait, and for those more experienced that have used other baits, something new to try and expand on. By replacing the water with eggs in many of the above recipes, boilies, which are only "hard doughballs" after all, can be made. Read the rest of the article with even more bait recipes in the NACA
Old 02-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossberghunter93
Jell-O Doughball
Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add three tbsp. of strawberry flavored Jell-O, then slowly add, while stirring a mixture of two cups of yellow cornmeal and one cup of flour. Now, turn down the heat and stir while cooking for about five minutes. Let the dough cool thoroughly before refrigerating in a plastic bag.
Ding, Ding, Ding!!! We have a winner!!! I was hoping I would see this answer before long. This is the absolute best way to catch these monsters.

Another very good way to catch these things is to use frosted mini-wheats. They're not as durable as the jello method but they'll work.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:45 PM

simp. wht will this work better than anything else?

Quick Reply: how the heck do you catch grass carp?!?!?!?!??!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.