Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

drop shottin

Old 01-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default drop shottin

i;ve finally decided to start. but i have to fish small ponds that aren't very deep. what are some tips i should use. i know a few
Old 01-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: drop shottin

Use a smaller weight and a #2 (different from the 2/0)offsethook on spinning tackel. I like the Chompers drop shot worms that are LOADED with garlic and salt.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah i have a couple rigged up rods already. i spent forever getting them set up right. but i dont know if 10lb suffix is to thick. what would yall recomend. i think it will be fine. i also have one with 14lb. triliene smooth cast. i know that is too thiock for drop shotting probably. but i think it will work. i always do good with trilene. well i really want to improve my technique so what should i do? i basically remember my friend telling me to shake the rod lightly
Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on serveral things, like water clarity, structure, are you fishing in North Dakota or Texas, the are several methods of drop shotting that will work, yes you can just shake the rod lightly, or you can throw it out and let it set for a minute or more without moving it (dead sticking) you can fish it like a worm, or like a jig, it's avery versitale and productive method of fishing.

I use a6'6" spinning rod with a Quantum Spinning reel, and most of the time I use 10lb Vanish.

Hopoe this helps
Old 01-15-2008, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

i am using a 6'6" medium and quantum reel lol and using 10lb. suffix.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Drop shotting shallow water can be very difficult and ineffective from my experience. Thus I consider shallow water to be 1 1/2' or less.

I would consider my optimal range to be 3 1/2' to 7' of water.

A major dependency for me is if you will be fishing from a boat. I find it extremly difficult to drop shot from shore or docks.

*** Mind you, this is purely based on my own experiences, from the Northern waters of Michigan. Good luck, Tight Lines!
Old 01-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

im on shore and the deepest point is probably 5 1/2 to 6 feet and hard to cast to. jigs only work for me in there during the spawn. i only can get them on live bait when its in the lower to upper 60's in the winter. its impossible
Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

personally i wouldnt use it in shallow water(under 7-8 feet)

most all of my fishing is done in the Mississippi River in water thats 12 foot deep at the most.probably 90% of my fishing in water that is 2-8 foot deep

whats wrong with atexas rigged craw/worm/lizard/tube.....the waypeople talk about Drop shot, you would think that the texas rig doesnt catch bass anymore[&:]if you ask me drop shot is a fad[], of course people are catching fish on it because they are using them all the time now(if the only thing that i throw is ainsert anybait here, in any color85% of the time thats gonna be what i catch most of my fish on because thats what i throw the most, its all about confidence, it doesnt matter what you throw as long as you have confidence in the lure(assuming your Presentation/technique is correct)

one of my favorite things to do if the fish are finiky(and im not catching fish inspotsi normally do) is:

totry fishing a Fluke/sluggo type bait weightless(use a heavy hook; or a small split shot2 feet up from the hook, if you want to fish it 3-4 foot deep and the salad isnt too thick(you can even use a small bullet weight pegged with a toothpic)

if that doesnt work it usually means that the fish arent there or that they have lockjaw....so ill move to another spot and try do the same thing start fast/ if i get no results/ slow down(wieghtless or near it)...no results move again...maybee ill refish the same spots later that day....somedays you just have to accept the fact that the fish arent hittin at the spots you fish...

Ive never seen a Magic Lure/rig yet......

some people say that the fish get used to seeing certain baits/presentations....i think thats B.S. when fish are active during summer peak its hard to beat a spinnerbait/crankbait, those lures have been around for over 50 years and they stillcatch fish when the time is right.......fish dont have much memory and if youput something that looks like forage in frontof him hes gonna bite it.... i am a believer in scent....scent works, especially for fish that dont feel like biting...it makes them more likely to bite.

i haveused Dropshot but i used it in more of a vertical manner...i dontthink its the correct/best rigto use it for a horizontal presentation(shallow water casting from shore)

buttry it and see if you can get a bite....thats what its all about....sorry to ramble....

if i had to fish two baits/rigs only,

the two i would pick are

my favorite bait for any kind of structure or cover Texas rigged worm.

for open water a spinnerbait.because of how versatile it is.

man, i want to go bass fishing....river is full of ice tho.

Goood Luck, happy fishin...
Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

when i was with my friend that fishes tournaments and just won the last local one, he was using it in the same pond and caught atleast 3 3 pounders in 30 minutes when we had only been catching fish off minnows. and nothing else would work. i even used carolina rigs and texas and spinnerbaits. i would hit the bass multiple times to entice a strike and nothing would happen. and these were big and little fish.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Alpha Capo

personally i wouldnt use it in shallow water(under 7-8 feet)

most all of my fishing is done in the Mississippi River in water thats 12 foot deep at the most.probably 90% of my fishing in water that is 2-8 foot deep

whats wrong with atexas rigged craw/worm/lizard/tube.....the waypeople talk about Drop shot, you would think that the texas rig doesnt catch bass anymore[&:]if you ask me drop shot is a fad[], of course people are catching fish on it because they are using them all the time now(if the only thing that i throw is ainsert anybait here, in any color85% of the time thats gonna be what i catch most of my fish on because thats what i throw the most, its all about confidence, it doesnt matter what you throw as long as you have confidence in the lure(assuming your Presentation/technique is correct)

one of my favorite things to do if the fish are finiky(and im not catching fish inspotsi normally do) is:

totry fishing a Fluke/sluggo type bait weightless(use a heavy hook; or a small split shot2 feet up from the hook, if you want to fish it 3-4 foot deep and the salad isnt too thick(you can even use a small bullet weight pegged with a toothpic)

if that doesnt work it usually means that the fish arent there or that they have lockjaw....so ill move to another spot and try do the same thing start fast/ if i get no results/ slow down(wieghtless or near it)...no results move again...maybee ill refish the same spots later that day....somedays you just have to accept the fact that the fish arent hittin at the spots you fish...

Ive never seen a Magic Lure/rig yet......

some people say that the fish get used to seeing certain baits/presentations....i think thats B.S. when fish are active during summer peak its hard to beat a spinnerbait/crankbait, those lures have been around for over 50 years and they stillcatch fish when the time is right.......fish dont have much memory and if youput something that looks like forage in frontof him hes gonna bite it.... i am a believer in scent....scent works, especially for fish that dont feel like biting...it makes them more likely to bite.

i haveused Dropshot but i used it in more of a vertical manner...i dontthink its the correct/best rigto use it for a horizontal presentation(shallow water casting from shore)

buttry it and see if you can get a bite....thats what its all about....sorry to ramble....

if i had to fish two baits/rigs only,

the two i would pick are

my favorite bait for any kind of structure or cover Texas rigged worm.

for open water a spinnerbait.because of how versatile it is.

man, i want to go bass fishing....river is full of ice tho.

Goood Luck, happy fishin...
Alpha, I can assure you of a few things.... yes, there is NO such thing as a magic bait....But I have had days where I've thrown a Tx-worm and only boated a few fish here and there, then I switched up to a Drop Shot and would catch 10-15 fish off of ONE point. The last time out me and my dad boated approx. 40-50 bass and all butabout 10 of them came on a drop shot. When used correctly and at the right location, it is a very good bait to put fish in the boat where as other baits would not. I don't think it's a "Fad" at all, they've been doing it out West for years, it's just now getting popular in the Midwest and out East. Just take a trip to Lake Erie with me this coming summer, I will show you that this is a lure that is here to stay.By the way, where in IL are you?

Quick Reply: drop shottin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.